[News] CTO Chooses Free Software Simply Because It Works Better

  • Subject: [News] CTO Chooses Free Software Simply Because It Works Better
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 14:09:10 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
OSBC Report: Kaplan CTO declares "Open source is the software of choice in a
connected world"

,----[ Quote ]
| He helps to run a New York CTO breakfast club. He keeps involved with various
| open-source communities. He's an ideal CTO.
|
| Given Jon's background, one statement that he made in his opening remarks
| particularly impressed me:
|
|     I don't use open source because it's free....I use open source because it
|     works.
`----

http://www.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9903582-16.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=TheOpenRoad

Recent:

The Adoption-Led Market

,----[ Quote ]
| The switch for a mesh topology in society has led to easy access for everyone
| to Free software created by open source communities. The result is an
| emerging approach which is rapidly spreading for smaller software projects
| and in my view is the future of all software acquisition. The emerging
| approach is an adoption-led market.
|
| In this approach, developers select from available Free software and try the
| software that fits best in their proposed application. They develop
| prototypes, switch packages as they find benefits and problems and finally
| create a deployable solution to their business problem. At that final point,
| assuming the application is sufficiently critical to the business to make it
| worthwhile to do so, they seek out vendors to provide support, services (like
| defect resolution) and more. Adoption-led users are not all customers; they
| only become so when they find a vendor with value to offer.
`----

http://blogs.sun.com/webmink/entry/the_adoption_led_market

Related:

Asterisk creator: Consider open source VoIP, think twice about hybrid-hosted

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.searchvoip.com.au/topics/article.asp?DocID=1279058