[News] GNU/Linux Project Comes to a Town of 6,000

Tux comes to Felton, California

,----[ Quote ]
| On July 4th, a significant percentage of Felton, Calif., will go
| Microsoft-free for one week...maybe an entire month. Maybe for good. The
| arrangements have been made and the news is going forth in Felton.
| Businesses and home users alike are excited about one of their own -- Larry
| Cafiero of HeliOS Solutions West in Felton -- joining a committed group of
| volunteers into their town to show them a better way to operate their
| computers.  For a week...maybe a month...
|
| [...]
|
| With an estimated 30 to 40 million Linux Users world-wide, it would seem that
| funding might be the least of our problems.  Remember, we're talking about
| the Linux Community here.
`----

http://faq.fixedbylinux.com-a.googlepages.com/lindependence2008-bringinglinuxtothemass

Related and recent:

Open Source Computer Donation Program Aims To Go Nationwide

,----[ Quote ]
| But recently the company teamed up with open-source developer Untangle to
| organize an event March 1 called "Installfest," which brought together around
| 130 volunteers, including members of local Linux user groups, for a
| drastically accelerated production cycle at four locations.
`----

http://www.thejournal.com/articles/22165

'Installfest' Brings Open Source Tools to Northern California Schools

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.thejournal.com/articles/22127