Re: [News] Disagreements Over Software Patents in the UK Continue

____/ Mark Kent on Tuesday 25 March 2008 15:30 : \____

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9069998&intsrc=news_ts_head

>> High Court says UK-IPO was wrong to reject software-related patent
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| The patentability of software is a controversial area of UK intellectual
>>| property law. The question seemed to be settled in a decision by the Court
>>| of Appeal in 2006 which outlined how courts should determine whether an
>>| invention consists purely of software, and therefore should not be awarded
>>| a patent.
>>|
>>| That ruling took in two cases, one involving a company called Aerotel and
>>| another involving inventor Neal Macrossan.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.out-law.com/page-8954
>>
>> Microsoft is meanwhile using its little trolls in the UK to fight for
>> software patents.
>>

> This will be overturned, I'm quite sure.  The UK's and EU's rules are
> quite clear.  We do not want a new VAT system, but run by private
> companies on behalf of a few major corporations, which is what the
> patent system is rapidly turning into.

Major corporations OR small solicitor firms that only buy patents and initiate
lawsuits.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Watch your step, that soapbox is very slippery
Tasks: 114 total,   1 running, 112 sleeping,   0 stopped,   1 zombie