[News] Children in South Africa Receive Fedora Linux Laptops

  • Subject: [News] Children in South Africa Receive Fedora Linux Laptops
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 03:42:17 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Teens Bring Laptops to South African Children

,----[ Quote ]
| Two teenage sisters from Boston, along with their family and school, have
| joined forces with an American non-profit organization to provide laptop
| computers to underprivileged children in South Africa.
|
| [...]
|
| The XO has no hard drive or fan, so should not suck up dust and dirt,
| according to Weber. It runs on the Linux operating system and stretches
| wireless networks using Mesh technology.
`----

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=88922574

Exploring Etoys on the OLPC XO

,----[ Quote ]
| Etoys is one of the most interesting activities included on the OLPC XO
| laptops distributed during the Give One Get One program late last year, which
| gave North Americans a first look at the controversial laptop. The XO's
| unique vocabulary -- Etoys as an activity instead of application --
| underscores the fact that the XO is designed as an educational tool for the
| classroom.
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/130014

Old:

One Laptop Per Child to begin SA pilot

,----[ Quote ]
| Although the roll-out date for One Laptop Per Child’s (OLPC)
| low-cost machine has been put back until October 2007, OLPC is
| using a limited number of trial machines to run pilots to gain
| experience of how it will work in the local context.
`----

http://www.tectonic.co.za/view.php?src=rss&id=1593

One Laptop sighted in Cape Town

,----[ Quote ]
| The laptop, a beta version of the final product, sports a green
| casing, a liquid-proof keyboard, a couple of dust covers for the
| ports and the Sugar operating system which is based on Fedora Core 6.
`----

http://www.tectonic.co.za/view.php?src=rss&id=1466

Debate widens over over deploying computers in the developing world

,----[ Quote ]
| The controversy boiled over on Saturday at a meeting where Craig
| Barrett, chairman of Intel, squared off with Nicholas Negroponte,
| the former director of the MIT Media Laboratory and head of the
| nonprofit organization One Laptop Per Child, which is focusing
| on the 1.2 billion children in the developing world.
`----    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

http://www.iht.com/articles/2007/01/28/business/cheap.php

SA Government's OSS plans revealed

,----[ Quote ]
| Migration of current systems is also planned. This will be done in a phased
| approach, beginning with applications such as replacing MS Office with Open
| Office or KOffice and replacing Internet Explorer with Firefox. This will in
| time lead up to the operating system, replacing Windows with a Linux
|                                       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| distribution. Migration to Apache for the running of government websites has
| ^^^^^^^^^^^^
| already occurred within a number of departments.
`----

http://www.tectonic.co.za/view.php?src=rss&id=1684

Related:

Laptop-Project Founder Faults Intel

,----[ Quote ]
| Oscar Becerra Tresierra, general director for educational technology at
| Peru's Ministry of Education, says that after the country recently agreed to
| buy 272,500 OLPC laptops for primary-school students, an Intel sales
|                                                          ^^^^^^^^^^^
| representative tried "to scare us" by claiming the machines and their power
| ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| adapters didn't work. "I don't feel very happy about it," he said. "We
| wouldn't like the project to fail because somebody is spreading gossip about
|                                                       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| the machines that doesn't turn out to be true."
`----

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB119948070480568405.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

Laptop Project Blames Intel for Breakup

,----[ Quote ]
| Negroponte said Intel even tried to undo a deal One Laptop had already sealed
| in Peru by citing flaws in the One Laptop "XO" machine and telling government
| ministers "we ought to know, because we are on the board." Such hostile
| comments were prohibited, Negroponte claimed, under the July peace treaty
| that brought Intel into the One Laptop Per Child camp.
|
| "I want to say we tried, but it was never a partnership," Negroponte
| said. "There's not one single thing in their contract or agreement that they
| lived up to."
`----

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5hXa0O9XLMsWfaqt-sI9FqFy2IewgD8TVAD7OA

Intel: doing the dirty on OLPC

,----[ Quote ]
| Intel’s agreement with the OLPC Foundation included a ‘non disparagement’
| clause, under which Intel and One Laptop promised not to criticize each
| other, according to Nicholas Negroponte in the latest article in the Wall
| Street Journal.
|
| Still Intel tactics have violated that repeatedly to kill OLPC efforts in
| Nigeria, Libya, Pakistan, India, China and Intel is also still trying to pull
| those tactics in Mexico, Brazil.
| This is simply disgracefull of Intel, scandalous.
|
| But Negroponte has signed an agreement saying that he is not allowed to
| criticize Intel, so he is not allowed to talk about these shameless tactics
| even though Intel is the one violating the agreement.
|
| So only independant voices on the Internet can get those messages of truth
| out about Intels tactics.
|
| In Nigeria, Intel came and donated 3000 laptops to counter OLPC efforts, then
| sells 17 thousand Classmates to Nigeria at a loss.
|
| Then Microsoft corrupted Nigerian officials with 400 thousand dollars to
| install Windows XP on those instead of Mandriva Linux.
`----

http://www.p2pnet.net/story/14124

Negroponte says Intel should be "ashamed of itself"

,----[ Quote ]