[News] Renewed Push for Governments in Africa to Choose Open Standards

  • Subject: [News] Renewed Push for Governments in Africa to Choose Open Standards
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 15:23:12 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
FOSSFA URGES AFRICAN GOVERNMENTS TO PARTICIPATE MORE EFFECTIVELY IN THE DEBATE
ON OPEN STANDARDS

,----[ Quote ]
| FOSSFA encourages African governments to facilitate the debate on Open
| Standards, and involve national experts in decisions regarding technology
| standards.  The organization also urged African governments to seek a
| collective African voice prior to taking positions on Open Standards issues.
| Recalling that the last Ballot Re-count Meeting had very little
| representation from Africa, and that African countries voted in the
| affirmative without thorough and more inclusive discussions on the issues,
| FOSSFA strongly calls for more active public engagement of the issues in the
| future.
|
| Further, FOSSFA believes that governments should pay particular attention to
| procurement practices, especially software agreements between it and software
| companies.  In this regard, FOSSFA noted that the practice of binding a
| sovereign country to agreements based on non-disclosable memorandums of
| understanding is not open, contravenes the principles and values of
| transparency in public procurement, and must be stopped.
`----

http://appablog.wordpress.com/2008/03/22/fossfa-urges-african-governments-to-participate-more-effectively-in-the-debate-on-open-standards/

Recent:

SA minister slams software patents

,----[ Quote ]
| In a taped address for the Idlelo 3 conference, Fraser-Moleketi said
| that “open standards are a critical factor in building interoperable systems
| that are important to governments … In South African we have a document - the
| minimum interoperability standards - which includes the use of open document
| format or ODF.”
|
| Fraser-Moleketi pointed out that ODF was adopted as an ISO standard in 2006.
| She said that it was “unfortunate that the leading vendor of proprietary
| office software, which enjoys considerable dominance in the market, chose not
| to participate and support ODF in its products but rather to develop its own
| competing document standard, which is now also awaiting judgement in the ISO
| process.
`----

http://www.tectonic.co.za/?p=2304

Related:

South Africa adopts ODF as govt standard

,----[ Quote ]
| The South African government yesterday announced the adoption of OpenDocument
| Format (ODF) as a standard for government communications.
`----

http://www.tectonic.co.za/view.php?id=$id&src=digg

Africa: 'Microsoft is Imperialistic' Says Open Source Advocates

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://allafrica.com/stories/200701230831.html