[News] The Issue of Trust in Proprietary Software and a Free Software Solution

  • Subject: [News] The Issue of Trust in Proprietary Software and a Free Software Solution
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 15:08:51 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Apple’s dirty Safari installer wouldn't happen in open source

,----[ Quote ]
| A lot has been said of late concerning the way Apple slipped in a brand-new
| Safari installer into the Apple Software Update used by many hundreds of
| thousands of iPod-wielding Windows users. Let me offer a new perspective,
| from the open source point of view - why what Apple did was bad, and why open
| source developers wouldn’t do it. I'll also cut through the FUD and deliver
| the truth about what the installer really does!
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/17271/1141/

Yesterday:

Mozilla CEO Criticizes Apple's Stealth Safari Update

,----[ Quote ]
| Lilly doesn't have a problem with Apple using its software update utility to
| keep its users up-to-date with iTunes and QuickTime, or any other Apple
| software they may have installed. The problem for Lilly is that even if you
| don't have Safari installed, Apple pushes the update to users and checks
| the "install" box by default.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,143752-pg,1/article.html

The day before that:

Apple pushes Safari on Windows via iTunes updater

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9900456-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20