[News] Computer Power User Publishes Article About GNU/Linux

  • Subject: [News] Computer Power User Publishes Article About GNU/Linux
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2008 05:17:05 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Latch On To Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| To help sort through the different Linux options, we downloaded, installed,
| and used 10 popular and somewhat-less-than-popular-but-worthwhile Linux
| distros, keeping in mind installation ease, features and functionality, ease
| of use, and performance.
`----

http://www.computerpoweruser.com/editorial/article.asp?frm=NMAOL&article=articles/archive/c0805/40c05/40c05.asp&guid=C8BC7B60910B4E77BE77148C316DDD0B
http://tinyurl.com/3dlxph

In print.

Linux and Philosophy

,----[ Quote ]
| What I found interesting about these people is their driving force. Writing
| about something that is free - in commercial terms - does not bring revenue.
`----

http://dannybuntu.blogspot.com/2008/03/linux-and-philosophy.html

Related:

Why Windows Vista isn't ready for geeks

,----[ Quote ]
| The simple fact that an operating system was in development for five
| years and displays this level of inadequacy for a "Retail-ready"
| release speaks volumes for the quality of the product.
`----

http://www.short-media.com/articles/vista_not_ready_for_geeks

When Non-Experts Use Windows

,----[ Quote ]
| Now I feel the need to bring up some user stories. Today I was trying to
| help my friend fix her computer over the phone. I inevitably ended up
| driving the 45 minutes to her house.
|
| [...]
|
| Windows should be blamed for not bringing stricter accountability
| for third-party software on Windows. There are a lot of
| irresponsible programmers out there. The irony is all of the
| proprietary third party software that has been built around
| the problems caused by third party software in Windows. Yep,
| you have to spend even more money to save money if you're a
| non-expert user of Windows. I say, Windows costs more than
| what I won't spend on it. If you tout lower usability costs
| for Windows, please think twice.
`----

http://www.uvm.edu/~jrbeaure/20070314.html

Why power users will hate Vista

,----[ Quote ]
| I've been testing Vista in the last few days and I've been trying to
| wrap my head around it. I'm trying to figure an objective approach to
| it, but it's really hard, because I simply don't like most of the
| things I see. One of the reasons for this is the fact that Windows
| Vista doesn't offer anything new for Windows power users - actually,
| it's only taking away from them.
`----

http://franticindustries.com/blog/2007/01/24/why-power-users-will-hate-vista/

Why I Won't Be Getting Vista for a Long Time

,----[ Quote ]
| Well, here are the top reasons I am not getting Vista for awhile.
| The list is rather long, but I feel its information everyone
| should know. Don't be tempted by the cool Aero Glass interface,
| because being able to experience it is really not worth all of
| these issues I have listed below. I have tested Windows Vista
| Release Candidate 1 and 2, so I have a good feel for the new
| operating system. Anyways, here are the main things that scare
| me about Vista...
`----

http://meltingice.net/wordpress/?p=261

Why Has Microsoft Abandoned the Power User?

,----[ Quote ]
| I don't know about you, but I'm feeling abandoned these
| days, as Windows Vista and Internet Explorer are
| increasingly closed off.
|
| How about you -- do you see any evidence of this
| disturbing trend?
`----

http://www.oreillynet.com/windows/blog/2006/10/why_has_microsoft_abandoned_th.html

Microsoft Power Users, Part II