[News] GNU/Linux Installation Very Simple, Virtual Appliance Make Things Easier

  • Subject: [News] GNU/Linux Installation Very Simple, Virtual Appliance Make Things Easier
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2008 17:06:50 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Flipping the Linux switch: Disturbingly easy installs, now with sound and

,----[ Quote ]
| Last week, we walked through installing Ubuntu Linux.
| It's not a particularly hard process, and Ubuntu is great because it clearly
| illustrates the basic steps every Linux distribution goes through when it
| installs on a hard drive. Even if you don't use Ubuntu or a derivative, just
| looking at the installer screenies gives a nice story arc to a generic Linux
| install.

Why even install anything when appliances exist?

Virtual Appliance Company Streamlines Access to Open Source Applications

,----[ Quote ]
| "In a nutshell, JumpBox Open brings simplicity, selection and time savings to
| the world of Open Source software," said Kimbro Staken, JumpBox Co-founder
| and CEO. "Because JumpBoxes make it so simple to deploy applications, JumpBox
| Open provides easy solutions to most any business application requirements."
| There are 20 JumpBoxes currently available, and over 50 more scheduled by the
| end of 2008. Current applications include: Alfresco, Bugzilla, Cacti,
| DokuWiki, Drupal, Joomla!, Mantis, MediaWiki, MoinMoin, OTRS, phpBB, TWiki,
| Trac/Subversion, vTiger CRM and WordPress.

Ubuntu 1, Windows 0

,----[ Quote ]
| I installed Ubuntu on the Toshiba laptop. Ubuntu installed in 15 minutes - 49
| for Windows XP and 125 for Windows Vista. Ubuntu's desktop came right up. I
| opened the pre-installed Firefox browser and found I could browse the Web
| immediately. Ubuntu installed a network adaptor for the Toshiba laptop.
| I shake my head at this Windows foolishness!

The day of the Linux desktop

,----[ Quote ]
| The idea here is that this is something almost anyone can do, almost anywhere
| in the world, without any central organization or, indeed, any organization
| at all. This is not Linux World or Linux Continent or Linux Country or Linux
| State or even Linux City or Linux Village. And it's not a year, a month, or
| even a week. It's just one day.

Installing A New Printer. Windows vs. Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Windows - 40 Minutes
| [...]
| Linux - 2 Minutes
| While I was waiting for the first round of software to install on Windows, I
| turned to my laptop running Ubuntu to see if I could get it setup to print as
| well. I launched the printing configuration tool. Clicked on "New Printer".
| Typed in the IP address I had assigned to the printer and selected the model
| number.

How To Install Gutsy Gibbon - A 21 Step Guide For Technical Support

,----[ Quote ]
| 1. “First, insert the Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon 7.10 CD into your cup holder.”
| 2. “Press the power button on your computer, and hold it until it shuts off.”
| 3. “Good. Now press the power button again.”
| 4. “We’re going to see some white on black text fly by, please don’t read it
|     to me.”
| 5. “Let me know when you’ve got a screen that says Ubuntu in brown and
|     orange.”
| 6. “Ok, press the ‘Enter’ key.”

Vista Ultimate vs. Ubuntu 7.04 - Which Install Is Easier?

,----[ Quote ]
| So less than 3 hours into this experiment, I have both Vista and Ubuntu
| installed and patched. Both systems are stable, more or less, but both
| systems have quirks. Neither system worked perfectly, but much to my surprise
| the Ubuntu system worked better, (once I got the keyboard working). More
| hardware worked without needing to download additional drivers. More over,
| there is moreover, the desktop that I do have is more functional -
| applications like GIMP, Open Office, and a slew of multi-media apps are far
| more useful than Wordpad, Paint and the slew of crap that Vista comes with.

Linux is not only better than windows, it is also easier to install and

,----[ Quote ]
| This post inspired me to write this comparison, side by side, specially
| where it says, that windows users says that "Linux is hard to install", so I
| wanted to test it.

Linux is Easier to Install than Windows!

,----[ Quote ]
| A brief, but honest description of why Linux is better than Windows!

[Installing Linux from Windows] Wubi Review

,----[ Quote ]
| In conclusion, this tool is certainly one of the easiest ways of letting
| people try Ubuntu without removing Windows or having to partition their hard
| drive for a dual-boot.  I have enjoyed this tool, and although it is still in
| beta, it works very well and is very stable.  So, if you are running a
| computer with Windows and want to give Ubuntu a try, then this is the
| solution for you.

Installing Ubuntu, a world without Windows

,----[ Quote ]