[News] To-be Obsolete Middlemen Afraid of Free Software, Linux

Looking for Mr. ISV

,----[ Quote ]
| The first problem is one we already know: a lack of information. They don't
| know enough about Linux, and they are basing their decisions on half-formed
| bits of data that they gleaned from various sources.
|
| [...]
|
| Granted, "cut out the middleman" is not unique to any business plan, but
| Lucas' application of the principle, taking almost perfect advantage of the
| political and cultural situation of the era was certainly pretty smart. So
| smart that he was able to elude (honest) police investigation for quite some
| time because no one in the 1960s was able to initially believe that a black
| man would hold more sway than the Italian organized criminal organizations.
|
| [...]
|
| Today, it seems, ISVs are still approaching Linux as something like that
| bullying middleman. It's not Linux' fault--it's just that after so many years
| of doing things one way, the notion that there's another way to interact with
| an OS is completely alien. This, I believe, is where the need for lateral
| thinking comes in.
`----

http://www.linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2008-05-09-016-26-OP-BZ

Related:

Indie labels take e-commerce into their own hands

,----[ Quote ]
| Many other labels' digital stores are directly connected to their online
| physical stores as well, so that users can purchase T-shirts, CDs and MP3s
| all at once. "We are counting on our mail-order customers being our early
| adopters," Rentz said. "Our goal is to make it a real one-stop shop."
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9588_22-6234534.html

Why popstars are going it alone

,----[ Quote ]
| Music industry lobby groups have long been among the most vocal advocates of
| copyright reform, urging governments worldwide to prioritise intellectual
| property protection.
|
| [...]
|
| Last week, Radiohead released its latest CD without copy-controls on its
| website under a pay-as-you like system (Canada's Issa - formerly known as
| Jane Siberry - has successfully employed a similar approach for many years).
|
| The Radiohead announcement has unleashed a stunning series of follow-up
| moves - reports indicate that Nine Inch Nails, Oasis, Jamiroquai, the
| Charlatans, and Madonna have either left or are ready to leave their record
| labels in search of greater commercial success through live performances,
| merchandise sales, and other online innovation that may include free
| distribution of their music.

Strike hiatus prompts Hollywood writers to go it alone

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.guardian.co.uk/usa/story/0,,2232935,00.html