Re: [News] Verdict: Linux Growing by Leaps and Bounds

Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
Roy Schestowitz wrote:

$50 more for Linux Eee PC 900 – what gives Asus?

They have to make up for the 1000's of calls they are going to
get with people asking "how come I can't run MSOffice, or
Quicken, or 'insert your favorite Windows application"

Face the facts Roy, Linux is shunned and not wanted. Redhat
realizes this, on the desktop and now Asus and OLP do as
well....

Linux is a dud..... Get used to it.

Deploying KDE to 52 million young people

http://aseigo.blogspot.com/2008/04/deploying-kde-to-52-million-young.html

,----[ Quote ]
> By the end of this year 29,000 labs serving some 32,000,000
> students will be fully deployed and in active use.
>
> By the end of next year (2009) those numbers will have
> swelled to 53,000 labs serving some 52,000,000 students.
`----

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9909499-7.html

[quote]
April 2, 2008 2:08 PM PDT
EU investigation into Open XML vote still ongoing
Posted by Martin LaMonica Post a comment

European antitrust regulators are investigating whether Microsoft abused its desktop software market dominance in its effort to standardize the Office Open XML file formats.

The European Commission's antitrust regulatory body sent queries to several European countries to see how the standards-setting process was working, a spokesperson confirmed on Wednesday.

The investigation is still ongoing, he added.

The effort stems from a complaint lodged by anti-Microsoft lobbying group ECIS (European Commission for Interoperable Systems). The Commission said in January that it is exploring whether the Open XML file formats are sufficiently interoperable with competitors' products.
[/quote]

http://ec.europa.eu/idabc/en/document/7386/469

> EU: Schools increase use of Open Source Open Source News - 26
> February 2008 - EU and Europe-wide - General
>
> [....]
>
> In Macedonia, a 180.000 PCs running the GNU/Linux distribution
> Ubuntu are being deployed in schools across the country. In
> Turkey all students aged 11 and 12 will find Open Source on
> their schools PCs as an option next to Microsoft Windows. And
> in Russia, the government last year decided to migrate all
> schools to GNU/Linux, a move that should be completed by 2009.

He who laughs last, laughs best.  Yup, Linux is here to stay.

--
HPT
Quando omni flunkus moritati