[News] Overview of New GNU/Linux-based Ultra-Mobile PCs

Linux + UMPC = Smokin' Hot

,----[ Quote ]
| Ultra-Mobile Personal Computers (UMPC) are so hot right now that major PC
| manufacturers are competing to create the lightest, fastest and
| sexiest-looking portable machines imaginable. Most of these emerging
| sub-notebooks are pre-installed with Linux, and I wasn't surprised.
| Although consumers are still living in Windows world, computer makers now
| value Linux more than ever. It's really a huge gamble, but I think it's
| paying off. Mainstream consumers just don't care any longer even if most of
| these UMPCs come with Windows as an option. As long as they can surf the web,
| create documents, and write emails they are at peace with Linux.

New Linux-based console is coming soon:

Pandora the Linux gaming handheld console

,----[ Quote ]
| If you love games so much, why not keep an eye on Pandora? It’s the size of a
| DS but it has a QWERTY keyboard and gaming buttons. It will have a customized
| Debian-based Linux distro and so you could expect emulators to work on it as
| well as browsers.

Could Pandora open up Linux games?

,----[ Quote ]
| A stealth-mode startup is readying a Linux-based handheld gaming device with
| WiFi, USB, and a 4.3-inch 800x480 touchscreen. The "Pandora," headquartered
| at OpenPandora.org for now, runs Linux on a next-generation ARM SoC with
| integrated OpenGL 2.0 compliant graphics processor.

CES 2008: E-Lead Noahpad UMPC

,----[ Quote ]
| So, E-Lead will apparently be showing off a new UMPC that looks (not-so-)
| surprisingly like the Eee PC that everyone has fallen in love with. The main
| differences are the lack of flash memory, a different distro of Linux, and
| some sort of weird input interface.

Linux is about to take over the low end of PCs

,----[ Quote ]
| Opinion -- Sometimes, several unrelated changes come to a head at the same
| time, with a result no one could have predicted. The PC market is at such a
| tipping point right now and the result will be millions of Linux-powered PCs
| in users' hands.
| [...]
| Microsoft will fight this trend tooth and nail. It will cut prices to the
| point where it'll be bleeding ink on some of its product lines. And Windows
| XP is going to stick around much longer than Microsoft ever wanted it to.
| Still, it won't be enough. By attacking from the bottom, where Microsoft can
| no longer successfully compete, Linux will finally cut itself a large slice
| of the desktop market pie.

Linux Sees 'Astronomic' Growth in Mobile Devices

,----[ Quote ]
| "We were very aware that the growth in mobile for Linux was huge, but we
| didn't know it was so astronomic," Amanda McPherson, marketing director for
| the Linux Foundation, told LinuxInsider. "These are very encouraging
| numbers." Why Linux has drawn significant support from the community of
| handset manufacturers can be explained on several fronts, McPherson said.

After the Desktop -- What?

,----[ Quote ]