[News] Ars Technica Reviews the Latest Ubuntu GNU/Linux

The heron has landed: a review of Ubuntu 8.04

,----[ Quote ]
| Wubi eliminates the challenges typically associated with partitioning and
| makes it possible for prospective users to try Ubuntu without any risks. It
| makes the entire Ubuntu installation process just as easy as installing a
| regular Windows program. Wubi is a big game-changer because it facilitates a
| commitment-free approach that could make the transition to Linux a lot more
| palatable for many users.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/reviews/os/hardy-heron-review.ars

Ubuntu Tweak 0.3.1 released!

,----[ Quote ]
| Hi. Just a week ago, I released Ubuntu Tweak 0.3.0, now it has been
| downloaded for over 10,000 times.
`----

http://ubuntu-tweak.com/2008/05/07/ubuntu-tweak-031-released.html

Recent:

Ubuntu 8.04 Is Ready to Take On Windows

,----[ Quote ]
| I popped the Ubuntu CD into my running Vista box, opened the installer
| application, and directed the installer where to store Ubuntu and how much
| space to assign it. Shortly thereafter, the application prompted me to
| reboot, after which it completed the installation process. According to
| documentation on the Ubuntu Web site, there's a performance hit associated
| with this sort of install, but I didn't detect an appreciable slowdown.
|
| The Ubuntu desktop I'd installed within Windows seemed no different from the
| one I'd installed on its own hardware, and I was pleased to find that the
| files from my Windows instance were accessible from Ubuntu.
`----

http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Linux-and-Open-Source/Ubuntu-804-Is-Ready-to-Take-On-Windows/

Microsoft Profit Drops; Forecast May Miss Estimates

,----[ Quote ]
| The world's biggest software maker said sales of Windows for PCs sank 24
| percent and revenue from its online advertising unit came in at the low end
| of its projections. Microsoft's report contrasted with positive comments from
| chipmaker Intel Corp. and computer company International Business Machines
| Corp.
|
| [...]
|
| Microsoft declined $1.60 to $30.20 in extended trading after closing at
| $31.80 at 4 p.m. New York time on the Nasdaq Stock Market. The stock has
| fallen 11 percent this year.
`----

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=aQ7_iN1SxJ.c&refer=worldwide

CH: Geneva schools completely switch to Open Source

,----[ Quote ]
| About 70,000 students and their 7,000 teachers in the Geneva school district
| will gradually be moving to Open Source.
`----

http://ec.europa.eu/idabc/en/document/7576/6008

Feeling the heat at Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]