[News] Self-contained Linux (with KVM) Makes Xen More Obsolete

KVM and Xen cofounders engage in war of words

,----[ Quote ]
| Maybe, but Pratt was responding to his KVM’s competitors’ claims that Xen’s
| days are numbered because of KVM’s tight integration with the Linux kernel.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/virtualization/?p=415

Xen is now owned by an intimate Microsoft partner, in order to potentially
discriminate against Linux and help Microsoft fight VMWare. Linux doesn't need
it anyway. It has KVM now.

Recent:

Citrix opens Xen for business, still Linux shy

,----[ Quote ]
| Xen may have become the de facto virtualization platform for Linux, but,
| ironically, don't expect to see Citrix applications running natively on Linux
| any time soon.
|
| "It's market driven and we never got the uptake on Linux," Willis said. "Our
| focus for XenApp (formerly Presentation Server) is as a Windows application
| which we recommend customers run on bare metal for performance reasons."
|
| Willis said Citrix has partnered with Microsoft to develop Linux extensions
| for its Hyper-V platform.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com.au/index.php/id;311906363

Ubuntu picks KVM over Xen for virtualization

,----[ Quote ]
| KVM will be built into Ubuntu's next version, called Hardy Heron and due in
| April. "For the Hardy Heron release, we've really picked up the
| virtualization ball. Virtualization is making its way into data centers and
| onto developer workstations everywhere. Even 'regular' users are using it to
| run Ubuntu on Mac OS X all the time," Hansen said. "Virtualization has been
| on our agenda for a long time, but it became a top priority at UDS (Ubuntu
| Developer Summit) in November. We could see that demand for it was growing."
`----

http://www.news.com/8301-13580_3-9867657-39.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Related:

Citrix strays far from XenSource’s original open source mission

,----[ Quote ]
| “Citrix is not a virtualization company,” said Phil Montgomery, Senior
| Director of Citrix’s Virtualization and Management Division. “We’re not
| trying to be another VMware. Citrix is an application delivery software
| company.”
|
| In spite of that new positioning, XenSource is — or was — a virtualization
| company. But the competitive equation is now Microsoft + Citrix versus
| VMware, Montgomery told ZDNet last night.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=1984

Citrix strips XenSource of virtualization, open source...everything

,----[ Quote ]
| Citrix either got completely snowed in the acquisition or, much more likely,
| it's getting pressure from its bosom-buddy, Microsoft. What it's not getting
| is much value for its $500 million.
`----

http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9866973-16.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=TheOpenRoad

Microsoft, Citrix grow alliance

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft Corp. and Citrix Systems said they have expanded their alliance to
| deliver and market joint virtualization products with Windows Server 2008.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/bizj/080122/1579676.html?.v=1

Citrix Systems Tops Estimates

,----[ Quote ]
| Citrix completed the acquisition of open source virtualization developer
| XenSource about halfway through the quarter. It added $2 million to Citrix
| revenue. XenSource is expected to generate $50 million in revenue for 2008
| and about $50 million to $60 million in expenses.
|
| For 2009, XenSource is expected to contribute $200 million to the top line.
| The bulk of that will come from its server products, CEO Mark Templeton said.
| XenSource desktop virtualization products will initially be used in corporate
| pilot programs.
|
| "We think we can build in the server virtualization market the same kind of
| symbiotic relationship with Microsoft (MSFT - Cramer's Take - Stockpickr)
| ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| that we had with [the Citrix] Presentation Server," which works atop Windows
| Server, Templeton said. "We'll be the third player in server virtualization"
| after VMware (VMW - Cramer's Take - Stockpickr) and partner Microsoft.
`----

http://www.thestreet.com/_yahoo/newsanalysis/techsoftware/10400121.html?cm_ven=YAHOO&cm_cat=FREE&cm_ite=NA

Microsoft targets VMware with new strategy

,----[ Quote ]
| Citrix is developing a software tool that helps Microsoft's Hyper-V
| virtualization feature in the upcoming Windows Server 2008 to work more
| easily with Citrix's XenServer product.
|
| [...]
|
| Microsoft has acquired a start-up company called Calista Technologies and
| expanded its alliance with Citrix Systems, targeting VMware's early lead in
| virtualization technology.
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9584_22-6227023.html

Microsoft Pushes Virtualization

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft announced that it competed acquisituion of Calista Technologies, a
| San Jose, Calif.-based start-up that makes computer graphics for virtualized
| computers, and an expanded partnership with Citrix Systems  (nasdaq: CTXS -
| news  -  people ), a VMware competitor based in Fort Lauderdale, Fla.
| Microsoft and Citrix will jointly market services that "virtualize"
| computers, operating systems and applications.
|
| Microsoft's shot across the bow at VMware is inevitable as companies
| throughout industry shift to Web-based services. "Microsoft needs to get
| something into the market quickly," says Roger Kay, president of technology
| research firm Endpoint Technologies Associate. "Windows Office has 10 years
| to burn, but it will become less relevant."
|
| [...]
|
| A Microsoft-Citrix combination could present formidable competition to
| VMware, he suggests. Buying Citrix, however, would be a significant deal: The
| company has a market capitalization of $6.4 billion.
`----

http://www.forbes.com/2008/01/20/microsoft-vmware-calista-tech-cx_wt_0121microsoft.html

For Citrix, Target Acquired

,----[ Quote ]
| You said earlier this year that Citrix is an "admirer" of Microsoft for its
| innovation, Adobe for its strong brand and Apple for its easy-to-use
| products. After watching your swift acquisition pace and the kind of
| companies you target for acquisition, I would argue Citrix is patterned more
| after Cisco Systems. Do you think that's a reasonable argument?
|
| You are thinking of the acquisition point of view instead of the comments I
| made. Those were about role models. Cisco has not been a role model for our
| acquisitions. They are a fabulous company. We love Cisco. When I talk about
| Microsoft, Adobe and Apple, they are role models for the things I cited.
|
| I happen to be a huge believer in role models. It's pragmatic: If someone
| does something really well, study it and translate that into your own
| business. I think it applies to companies and people. The way you better
| yourself is to find someone you want to be like and try to be like them. That
| impacts the way we work at Citrix.

Ballmer: Microsoft Will Buy Open-Source Companies

,----[ Quote ]
| "We will do some buying of companies that are built around open-source
| products," Ballmer said during an onstage interview at the Web 2.0 Summit in
| San Francisco.
`----

http://www.crn.com/software/202404305

Is Microsoft Hijacking Open Source?

,----[ Quote ]
| What really worries me is what looks like an emerging pattern in Microsoft's
| behaviour. The EU agreement is perhaps the first fruit of this, but I predict
| it will not be the last. What is happening is that Microsoft is effectively
| being allowed to define the meaning of “open source” as it wishes, not as
| everyone else understands the term. For example, in the pledge quoted above,
| an open source project is “not commercially distributed by its
| participants” - and this is a distinction also made by Kroes and her FAQ.
|
| In this context, the recent approval of two Microsoft licences as
| officially “open source” is only going to make things worse. Although I felt
| this was the right decision – to have ad hoc rules just because it's
| Microsoft would damage the open source process - I also believe it's going to
| prove a problem. After all, it means that Microsoft can rightfully point to
| its OSI-approved licences as proof that open source and Microsoft no longer
| stand in opposition to each other. This alone is likely to perplex people who
| thought they understood what open source meant.
|
| [...]
|
| What we are seeing here are a series of major assaults on different but
| related fields – open source, open file formats and open standards. All are
| directed to one goal: the hijacking of the very concept of openness. If we
| are to stop this inner corrosion, we must point out whenever we see wilful
| misuse and lazy misunderstandings of the term, and we must strive to make the
| real state of affairs quite clear. If we don't, then core concepts like “open
| source” will be massaged, kneaded and pummelled into uselessness.
`----

http://www.linuxjournal.com/node/1003745

Will Microsoft Buy the New Citrix?

,----[ Quote ]
| VMware, holding some 85 percent of the market, with its VI3 technologies
| offers a fully integrated stack and represents a third generation of
| virtualization technology, while Viridian and Xen-based products, including
| SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10, Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5, XenEnterprise
| and Virtual Iron, remain second-generation products, the report stated.

Heady Days for Virtual Systems

,----[ Quote ]
| The former Microsoft Latest News about Microsoft general manager is
| now vice president of XenSource, a Palo Alto, Calif., virtualization
| company with a growing outpost in Redmond, Wash.

What the XenSource deal says about open source

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.businessreviewonline.com/os/archives/2007/08/what_the_xensou.html