[News] Modern GNU/Linux Made Leaps in User Suitability

Thoughts on Linux/Ubuntu

,----[ Quote ]
| With the release of Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron a week or two ago, I thought I’d
| try it out. I’ve been casually playing around with Linux for quite some time.
| I think the first version I installed was Mandrake Linux 8.0, back in 2001.
| Anyways, I like to see what’s new and how much Linux distributions have
| improved over the years.
|
| With the latest version of Ubuntu, I’m floored.
|
| When I first booted using the Live CD on my IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad, I was amazed
| that everything just worked right out of the box. I had sound, the screen
| resolution was correctly set to the native resolution, my trackpad and
| touchpad worked fine,
`----

http://brianschettler.com/blog/?p=65

For more experienced users, there's always good ol' Slackware:

Slackware 12.1: Do-it-yourself-NUX

,----[ Quote ]
| Aside from the whole having to mount everything by hand issue, I didn't have
| much trouble with this version of Slackware. It's definitely not for the
| unitiated, however.
|
| It still requires manual partitioning, manual user setup, and manual
| installing/uninstalling of packages once the initial install is done (unless
| you download a package manager of some sort). I don't see any of these things
| changing any time soon.
|
| Although theoretically I can use it offline, do work, listen to music and
| play 3D games, the lack of a proper automount makes Slackware 12.1 just too
| much work for me for everyday tasks. I begrudgingly give it three out of four
| Tuxes.
`----

http://www.techiemoe.com/tech/slack121.htm

Recent:

The brazilian Election Supreme Court migrates 430 thousand voting machines to
GNU / Linux

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://techforce.com.br/index.php/news/linux_blog/tse_migrates_to_linux