[News] From Windows to GNU/Linux... to a Free Software Advocate

What is Free Software and how to make money with it

,----[ Quote ]
| About 14 months ago, I got tired of Windows XP and decided to change my
| operating system. Despite all the cautions I had and all the security
| applications - firewall, antivirus, antispyware -, I ended up with malware
| infections; and when it wasn't malware problems, it was an enormous decrease
| in performance.
|
| [...]
|
| As I became more familiar with GNU/Linux and free operating systems in
| general, I became aware of the Open Source movement. Later, I became aware of
| the Free Software movement.
| Due to my lack of skills to code being as big as my lack of skills to draw,
| and because I feel I need to give something back to the community that
| created the software I'm using today, I decided to write a small essay about
| Free Software and ways of making money from it. The text is simple, short and
| for non-tech people.
`----

http://conversasdobruno.blogs.sapo.pt/372067.html

More on business that revolves around Free software:

Closing an open-source deal through your systems integrator

,----[ Quote ]
| In an open-source business, a vendor's biggest competition often derives from
| a freely available, "community" version of its product. By extension, an
| open-source vendor's biggest competition comes from the systems integrators
| that provide implementation services around that vendor's community software.
|
| Crippling this competition--so tempting on the surface--tends to cripple all
| the benefits that come from it, including facilitated adoption of the
| software, and lower sales and marketing costs.
|
| The question, then, is how to foster unfettered adoption of one's open-source
| software while still preventing would-be partners from undermining one's own
| ability to profit from the software.
`----

http://www.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9934560-16.html

Open source as the villain in its own story

,----[ Quote ]
| This may be the key point. As a successful business model, open source is
| putting new competitive pressures on companies which are not all economic.
|
| The goodwill of a powerful community can be a great asset, but like this
| site’s credibility it’s an asset that can disappear in a heartbeat.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=2389

Recent:

The rise of the open-source billionaire

,----[ Quote ]
| For Google, the underlying open source is made to be almost incidental
| (though they and others like PayPal are quick to point out that they could
| not do what they do without open source). But I suspect we'll see projects
| like MySQL directly monetize and promote the value of the open source
| powering their service offerings.
`----

http://www.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9925336-16.html

Economic slowdown could boost open source

,----[ Quote ]
| The economic slowdown in the US could boost demand for open source technology
| and services, analyst firm IDC has claimed.
|
| A recent survey by the company found that 60pc of American firms polled
| increased the percentage of their annual IT budget spent on open source
| technology in 2007.
`----

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/news/news.nv?storyid=single10802

VC funding for open source hits an all-time high

,----[ Quote ]
| Incidentally, total funding to date stands at $2.64bn.
`----

http://blogs.the451group.com/opensource/2008/04/01/vc-funding-for-open-source-hits-an-all-time-high/

Open-source venture investing hits an all-time high

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9907679-7.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=NewsBlog