[News] All Music Player Owners in Japan Are Called "Thieves"

Japan to tax MP3 players

,----[ Quote ]
| According to a report in the Asahi Shimbun newspaper, Japan's Agency for
| Cultural Affairs wants to force MP3 player manufacturers to pay a royalty
| charge to copyright holders that may have lost out as a result of illegally
| recorded content.
`----

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/05/07/ipod_tax_japan/

Now, now... the music industry doesn't even need to sell you anything. All it
needs to do for profit is ensure people buy electronics. Maybe they should
start taxing babies for having ears and mouths, very much in the same /vein/.

"Can't compete? Buy some new laws."

Competing with things like CC:

Creative Commons promotes standard license expression

,----[ Quote ]
| It is described in a paper by four Creative Commons employees and published
| by Communia, a European site that explores the relationship between
| technology and the public domain.
|
| [...]
|
| According to Yergler, this flexibility beyond the bare essentials has the
| benefit of making individual users of the licenses the arbiters of what
| information goes into the definition, rather than making CC "the one true
| registry of copyright information," a position that it has neither the desire
| nor the ability to assert. Yergler says that the point is to allow users --
| whether humans or crawlers and aggregators -- to quickly answer questions
| about your content, such as "How can I reuse it? Can I use it for commercial
| purposes? Can I make derivative works? And if I do reuse it, who do I
| actually attribute it to?"
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/133835

Hollywood and Ilk are are still trying ban everything that freely-sharable. A
former Microsoft employee even crossed out Ogg from HTML5.

Recent:

UK music industry pines for the good old days, seeks an iPod tax

,----[ Quote ]
| But that's different from what the UK's music industry is demanding. I
| happily pay Apple every time I download a song from iTunes. EMI and crew get
| a piece of that $.99 fee to cover their costs of discovering and marketing
| artists.
|
| What I'm not going to pay is for the right to move that song to my computer,
| or to my phone, or wherever, just as I never had to pay to move a song from
| vinyl to cassette tape. The music industry incurs no cost in that transfer,
| and offers me no help in facilitating it. Why should it get paid for that
| transfer?
`----

http://www.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9924262-16.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=TheOpenRoad

Copyright cops demand Ipod tax

,----[ Quote ]
| British legal eagles have been trying to unshackle the UK from a law which
| makes a criminal out of you every time you copy one of your own CDs to your
| mp3 player for some time now, but the Music Business Group (MBG) says it
| won't support the change in legislation unless manufacturers impose the tax.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/04/17/ippod-tax

Related:

Music industry meeting could change the Zune

,----[ Quote ]
| Bryan Lee, corporate vice present for Microsoft's entertainment
| business, told me today that the meeting was set up as part of the
| deal struck between Microsoft and music business honchos, who are
| always wary of piracy... The meeting was supposed to take place "some
| time after the holidays," he said. It also talks about the future
| of the zune.
`----

http://blogs.chron.com/techblog/archives/2007/01/music_industry_meeting_could_change_the_zune.html
http://tinyurl.com/y7z5wl

A Legitimate Reason to Hate the Zune (And Microsoft Too)

,----[ Quote ]
| Here's the situation: Microsoft has agreed to pay a portion of
| the profits from the sales of the Zune to a record company
| (Universal) because the Zune will undoubtedly be used to
| store unpurchased songs.
|
| [...]
|
| Here it is important to remember a few simple things. The
| money goes to the Universal, not to the artists.
|
| [...]
|
| Microsoft's move sets a bad precedent and turns all consumers into
| thieves without evidence.
`----

http://www.applematters.com/index.php/section/comments/a-legitimate-reason-to-hate-the-zune-and-microsoft-too/

Universal to seek money for each iPod sold

,----[ Quote ]
| "It would be a nice idea. We have a negotiation coming up not too
| far. I don't see why we wouldn't do that... but maybe not in the
| same way," Morris said. His "same way" comment is a reference tot
| he Zune, which Universal already gets $1 from after signing a deal
| with Microsoft.

Piracy figures are inflated say criminologists

,----[ Quote ]
| A draft report by the Australian Institute of Criminology says
| copyright holders are making up piracy figures in order to sway
| governments to their side.

Why even call it "piracy", which it isn't?