[News] Latest Attacks on Software Patents (Monopolisation Laws)

At the Heart of the Knowledge Economy: Should Patents Be Limited To Technology?

,----[ Quote ]
| Should we allow patents on tax-avoidance strategies? Legal arguments?
| Mathematical algorithms? Toilet reservation systems? Negotiation tactics?
| Business models?
`----

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/brian-kahin/at-the-heart-of-the-knowl_b_100404.html

Software patents: all talk

,----[ Quote ]
| Software patents are good because they are a cheap weapon to get rid of small
| players.
`----

http://ipkitten.blogspot.com/2008/05/software-patents-all-talk.html

Death to Software Patents! Nah…..

,----[ Quote ]
| What with all the paranoia surrounding In re Bilski (on patentable subject
| matter) and In re Nujiten (on signal claims) and the demands of certain
| groups for an end to software patents (see http://endsoftpatents.org), one
| might think we were on the verge of software patent mortality.
|
| [...]
|
| Rather than try to solve these issues en masse, we settled for a good
| conversation with a friend from across the Atlantic, Paul Cole, a chartered
| patent agent, patent litigator, and law professor from the UK who has written
| and spoken widely on issues of software patents.
`----

http://bpgradio.podbean.com/2008/05/07/death-to-software-patents-nah/

Let's Make Software Patents "Defensive Only"

,----[ Quote ]
| A friend of mine - who recently was "paid to file a patent" said he
| considered requesting that - if granted - the patent only be used
| defensively.  I asked him why.  He responded that he felt conflicted and
| thinks a lot of his peers feel the same way.  He didn't think the patent was
| particularly valuable, useful, or valid.
`----

http://www.personalbee.com/261/33124420

Recent:

Open source launches attack on software patents

,----[ Quote ]
| In a statement, ESP Executive Director Ben Klemens said, "This is an historic
| opportunity to fix the U.S. patent system, as the Bilski rehearing will
| directly address the boundaries of the subject matter of patents. In our
| brief, the End Software Patents project supports the Supreme Court's
| long-held position that computer software should not be patentable, and has
| highlighted to the Court the real economic harm software patents cause the
| U.S. economy."

Red Hat Says U.S. Patent System Is Broken

,----[ Quote ]
| This week Red Hat filed with the Federal Circuit Court of Appeals to
| carefully examine the state of software patents in the country. According to
| Red Hat, a company ripe with support for open source software, software
| patents are being issued at an alarming rate, and many of them are obvious
| ideas that should not have passed the patent desk to begin with.
`----

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/redhat-patent-lawsuit,news-961.html

Bush Administration Speaks Against Patent Overhaul

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,144179-pg,1/article.html