[News] Ubuntu GNU/Linux Climbs Sharply in Google, Red Hat "Crowned"

Watch this plot:

http://vruz.tumblr.com/post/33971856

Oracle crowns Red Hat the Linux king

,----[ Quote ]
| This has long been Oracle's problem with its Unbreakable Linux program. Not
| only has it not been very successful (according to two inside sources
| affiliated with the program with whom I recently spoke), but by its very
| design it hurts the party investing the resources to make the RHEL
| distribution solid in the first place.
|
| [...]
|
| To my friends at Oracle: There's a very good way to improve RHEL for your
| customers. It's called collaboration with Red Hat. No, your attempts to break
| Red Hat with Unbreakable Linux have largely gone nowhere, but you have such
| incredible resources that you could add a lot to Red Hat and its RHEL
| distribution if you'd just join forces with Red Hat rather than attempting to
| undermine it.
`----

http://www.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9937919-16.html

Recent:

Why does Larry Ellison have a Red Hat fetish?

,----[ Quote ]
| Larry doesn't understand open source. This isn't surprising since the people
| who report to him apparently don't, either (though I don't include Mike Olson
| in that crowd - he's a victim of golden handcuffs :-). Oracle desperately
| wants open source to be "just another tool" that it uses for IT domination.
| It's not. It actually has the opposite effect.
|
| Oracle just can't grok this.
|
| It wants to own the Linux kernel. It can't. It wanted to own JBoss. It
| couldn't. Open source is about controlling through sharing, but Oracle
| doesn't do the "share" thing very well.
|
| And so we'll have to sporadically endure Mr. Ellison's ego pronouncing
| himself god of the Linux world, despite his Linux business being so anemic
| that he won't break out its numbers. If the numbers are so great, report
| them, Mr. Ellison. (Having said this, it's important to note that Oracle
| stopped breaking out revenue by product line many years ago.)
`----

http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9817945-16.html?tag=head

Larry Ellison thrashes Red Hat

,----[ Quote ]
| "At Oracle we've been in the Linux business for a year now," he said.
|
| "With the Red Hat code all we did for the first year was fix bugs. Now Oracle
| growing a lot faster than Red Hat. Red Hat's been growing too because it’s a
| growing market."
`----

http://www.pcmag.co.uk/vnunet/news/2203490/ellison-aims-red-hat

After Oracle, Former Sleepycat CEO Hunts For Next Gig

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/news/software/database_apps/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=207501602