[News] OpenOffice 3.0 Beta Reaches Beta, Available for Download

OpenOffice 3.0 beta released

,----[ Quote ]
| A beta version of OpenOffice.org 3.0 has been released for evaluation by the
| public.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php?id=219112850&rid=-50

OpenOffice.org 3.0 beta is ready for testing

,----[ Quote ]
| The OpenOffice.org Community is pleased to announce that the public beta
| release of OpenOffice.org 3.0 is now available. This beta release is made
| available to allow a broad user base to test and evaluate the next major
| version of OpenOffice.org, but is not recommended for production use at this
| stage.
`----

http://marketing.openoffice.org/3.0/announcementbeta.html

Recent:

EuroOffice

,----[ Quote ]
| EuroOffice is the name of a free and open-source OpenOffice.org derivative
| and a set of accompanying free and non-free extensions. Most of the
| extensions also work with "vanilla" OpenOffice.org.
`----

http://opendocument.xml.org/product/eurooffice

BE, NL: governments will not use ISO OOXML

,----[ Quote ]
| Asked to comment on last week's ISO approval for OOXML, Fedict's chief IT
| architect, Peter Strickx, said: "There will have to be multiple
| implementations, in order for us not to become dependent on a single vendor.
| It will also have to be compatible with open standards that we already use,
| in this case Open Document Format ODF."
`----

http://ec.europa.eu/idabc/en/document/7562

DE: German Foreign Ministry will not use ISO OOXML

,----[ Quote ]
| In the weeks prior to the second round of votes last September,
| irregularities were reported in the standard committees in many participating
| countries. These claims  continued until after the final discussion, in
| February and March this year.
|
| The European Commission has started an investigation into the allegations.
| The Commission sent a letter to all EU national standards committees in
| Europe, requesting information about the process. Sources at the Commission
| declined to comment, as the investigation is on-going and no official
| position has yet been adopted.
`----

http://ec.europa.eu/idabc/en/document/7561

MEPs Question Microsoft's Eligibility for Gov't Projects

,----[ Quote ]
| The Commission, which has not responded yet, is allowed a few weeks to reply.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/144591/meps_question_microsofts_eligibility_for_govt_projects.html

EU: Europarlement testing Ubuntu, OpenOffice and Firefox

,----[ Quote ]
| The European Parliament's IT department is testing the use of GNU/Linux
| distribution Ubuntu, OpenOffice, Firefox and other Open Source applications,
| the British MEP James Nicholson explained last week in a letter to Italian
| MEP Marco Cappato.
`----

http://ec.europa.eu/idabc/en/document/7565

Is Microsoft Now Banned from EU Contracts?

http://www.computerworlduk.com/toolbox/open-source/blogs/index.cfm?entryid=697&blogid=14

Euro MP thinks Microsoft should be banned from government contracts

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/04/10/member-eu-parliament-asks

Green MEP says Microsoft should be excluded from EU contract awarding procedure

http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/106338/from/rss09