[News] GNU/Linux Support for More Universal Remotes

Harmony Universal Remotes Get Unofficial Linux Support

,----[ Quote ]
| If you absolutely refuse to let either a Mac or Windows inside your Penguin
| home, but still want to use a Logitech Harmony universal remote, there are
| now two solutions for you. The first is Concordance, a cross-platform
| application that runs on Linux to let you program your remotes without having
| to run any icky, icky corporate-backed operating system.

Linux Driver Project Status Report as of April 2008

,----[ Quote ]
| The Linux Driver Project (LDP) is alive and well, with over 300 developers
| wanting to participate, many drivers already written and accepted into the
| Linux kernel tree, and many more being currently developed. The main problem
| is a lack of projects. It turns out that there really isn't much hardware
| that Linux doesn't already support. Almost all new hardware produced is
| coming with a Linux driver already written by the company, or by the
| community with help from the company.

Linux device driver project needs more unsupported devices to work on!

,----[ Quote ]
| The problem is that even though Kroah-Hartman and his developers are willing
| to sign NDAs (nondisclosure agreements) for companies that are reluctant to
| open up their devices to open source, businesses are still hanging
| back. "What we need now is more companies participating in the project,"
| Kroah-Hartman said.
| [...]
| He also wondered if the problem of Linux device drivers has been
| overstated...

Avoid Linux device support issues: A few minutes of research can make all the

,----[ Quote ]
| You may have heard stories of Linux not being able to support some critical
| pieces of hardware, such as 3D graphics cards or WiFi. While Linux actually
| supports more hardware than any other operating system out there, it is
| certainly annoying when the one piece of hardware you need is not on the
| list.

Linux: Stable API vs. Not?

,----[ Quote ]
| As Linux supports a larger number of different devices "out of the box" than
| any other operating system, and it supports these devices on more different
| processor architectures than any other operating system, this proven type of
| development model must be doing something right :)

A Vista vs. Linux Matchup

,----[ Quote ]
| Putting aside Apple hardware, where all the software works with
| all the hardware so long as it's all up to the minute, I found
| that MEPIS actually has better hardware support for this PC
| than Vista.
| [...]
| Adding insult to injury, since DRM protection schemes must
| evolve constantly, to stay ahead of hackers tearing them down,
| I have little doubt that one day you'll come home to find that
| a Vista update to DRM-protection has just locked you out of your
| media collection. You know, the same collection, which had
| worked just fine the day before. Repeat after me: DRM does
| not belong in operating systems.

Free Linux Driver Development!

,----[ Quote ]
| Yes, that's right, the Linux kernel community is offering all
| companies free Linux driver development. No longer do you have
| to suffer through all of the different examples in the Linux
| Device Driver Kit, or pick through the thousands of example
| drivers in the Linux kernel source tree trying to determine
| which one is the closest to what you need to do.

Linux Hardware Support

,----[ Quote ]
| Here's the problem with that argument: Most hardware does not
| work "Out of the box" in Windows. When people say their hardware
| worked "Out of the box" I don't think they are talking about "Out
| of the blue Windows XP box." What I think they mean is "Out of
| the Dell box."
| [...]
| The catch is that you must buy hardware that is supported by the
| software you intend to run on it. Is this really so unreasonable?
| Would you buy a Sun Spark workstation and try to run Windows on it?

Newspaper: Window Vista can clear out a medicine cabinet

,----[ Quote ]
| But Michelle’s new HP desktop computer won’t recognize it – a printer made by
| the same company. Indeed, Vista will not recognize it, other than to say it
| doesn’t work with Vista. HP’s website says a new Vista driver (the software
| that tells the computer how to use specific hardware) is in the works, but
| nearly a year since the launch of Vista, I doubt it will ever come out.

HP all-in-one device works great with Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Once the ink cartridges have been installed and aligned --
| the unit first prints an alignment page, then scans it to
| check for needed adjustment -- Windows and Mac OS users are
| told to load their respective CDs to install the drivers.
| Linux users can scoff at the intellectual property
| handcuffs imposed on their non-free brothers and sisters
| and simply configure the unit from the friendly confines of their
| distribution.

The Epson Stylus C88 Printer, works in Linux but not in Windows?

,----[ Quote ]