[News] [Rival] 'Orphaned' Microsoft Looks for New Deals

Spurned by Yahoo!, Microsoft may buy Asian firms -- analyst

,----[ Quote ]
| Don't count out Microsoft yet. The software giant may decide to go local and
| buy companies possibly in the Asia Pacific region, according to analyst Ovum.
`----

http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/breakingnews/infotech/view/20080507-135160/Spurned-by-Yahoo-Microsoft-may-buy-Asian-firms----analyst

William brainfart didn't rule out further acquisitions and Microsoft's intl' GM
insists that it's goodbye for good (maybe, maybe not).

Bill Gates: Microsoft going 'independent' way

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft Chairman Bill Gates says the company isn't pursuing other deals
| following the withdrawal of its $47.5 billion takeover bid for Yahoo.
`----

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5iWk87zQyIRuTKOKLVn_0JAP23iYQD90GNAT00

Recent:

Data: Cash balances at large tech companies

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft has reduced its legendary cash balance by tens of billions
|              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| of dollars in recent years through a series of buybacks, dividends and
|                                                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| acquisitions. The importance of cash was evident in the Microsoft-Yahoo saga:
| Had the Redmond company succeeded in the proposed $44.6 billion acquisition,
| it would have needed to borrow money for the first time in its history to
| fund the deal.
`----

http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/microsoft/archives/138129.asp?source=rss

Microsoft earnings post-mortem: The cash cows quiver
                               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

,----[ Quote ]
| I can’t help but wonder if the lackluster Windows/Office results also can be
| attributed to Microsoft brass’s complete and crazy obsession with Google (and
| taking over Yahoo) has resulted in no one minding the Windows store. Kevin
| Johnson, the head of Microsoft’s Platforms & Services division seems to be so
| laser-focused on the online-ad business these days that he almost seems to
| have forgotten Microsoft is still in the software business, too.
|
| Microsoft execs’ claims about walking away from the Yahoo deal are nothing
| more than bluster. A protracted hostile takeover bid is just going to
| distract not just employees in Microsoft’s online services business, but
| company management, too. It’s not a pretty picture.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=1362

Feeling the heat at Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| If I ask you who is Microsoft's biggest competitor now, who would it be?

| to go with that.
`----

http://www.news.com/Feeling-the-heat-at-Microsoft/2008-1012_3-6232458.html?tag=ne.fd.mnbc

Microsoft's SEC: