[News] More Ubuntu 8.04 Raves, Also Installed on the Eee PC

Moving to Ubuntu

,----[ Quote ]
| My overall experience in these past days using Ubuntu has been really
| incredible and I would suggest each and every Windows user to atleast try
| Ubuntu using Wubi (if you haven’t already), it really doesn’t get any simpler
| than this and it will make your life really easy if you have difficulties,
| like I did, for separating partitions. In my opinion everyone should
| experience using Ubuntu at least once and see how they can very easily move
| to using Ubuntu while still being as productive (perhaps even more) as you
| were while you were on Windows! The Ubuntu community is also simply superb
| you will find great support there for all your problems (if you have any) and
| also find all the softwares you could need to do anything you would want to.
`----

http://www.dhruvasagar.com/blog/index.php/2008/05/06/moving-to-ubuntu/

Easiest Install EVER - Linux Ubuntu Desktop

,----[ Quote ]
| I think I was asked to enter my username and password, my name, then choose
| the nearest city for time zone and select my keyboard layout.  I installed it
| in VMWare fusion.  It launched immediately, and told me there are updates to
| install.  OK.
`----

http://www.vitaminzproductions.com/technology-blog/index.php/2008/05/06/easiest-install-ever-linux-ubuntu-desktop/

Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy Heron) on the Eee PC

,----[ Quote ]
| First of all, I was amazed at how much stuff worked right away. I didn’t have
| to install the 915resolution package to get the screen resolution correct.
| The little up-and-down scroll on the trackpad worked. Desktop Effects were on
| and working without having to do anything (I promptly turned them off—I
| prefer metacity). Sound worked. The brightness hotkeys worked. I did notice
| that (considering I have 1 GB of RAM on my Eee) the live session took a
| really long time to load up… even though it was snappy once loaded up. That
| first part with the little dots after vmlinuz took at least two minutes.
`----

http://ubuntucat.wordpress.com/2008/05/06/ubuntu-804-hardy-heron-on-the-eee-pc/

Yesterday:

Tim Bray provides a bridge between Sun and developers

,----[ Quote ]
| For all the difficulties, Bray suggests that he often sees at least
| incremental improvements in Sun. For instance, after he observed "ferment in
| the Python world," he says that his advocacy "helped commit Sun to really
| open up their hardware to the [Python] project. And then we just a couple of
| weeks ago hired two Python people. We're starting to get our feet wet there."
|
| [...]
|
| Looking further ahead, Bray predicts a move away from Microsoft operating
| systems. "The fact is that the vast majority of office desktops are using
| Windows, the third-best platform," he says. "You can argue about the relative
| merits of modern Linuxes like Ubuntu and the Mac, but they are clearly better
| than Windows in terms of robustness, cost, performance, and a whole bunch of
| other things. For the long term, can the mainstream of business continue to
| ignore the fact that there's a better alternative than what they're running?
| If that logjam breaks, that's going to be a real change."
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/133149

Recent:

French police deal blow to Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| The French paramilitary police force said Wednesday it is ditching Microsoft
| for the free Linux operating system, becoming one of the biggest
| administrations in the world to make the break.
`----

http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5iU4Lq7tOR_WVOJLZ3IeRaIH03x6w

Federal Employment Office switches to Linux

http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/102218