Re: Happy Easter Vista Users!

____/ Homer on Wednesday 07 May 2008 05:31 : \____

> Verily I say unto thee, that Linonut spake thusly:
>> * Erik Funkenbusch peremptorily fired off this memo:
>
>>> Wouldn't it make more sense to work with the Gnome or KDE teams to
>>> refactor their "bloated" product into something that's modular, and
>>> people can add as much "bloat" as they want?
>>
>> Who knows?  How can you know without mastering the code?
>
> It's funny how Fuddie's One World; One Company; New World Order vision
> of the future doesn't really seem to have helped Microsoft defeat the
> bloat and redundancy of the software made by the champion of his cause.
> But then Microsoft only champions that cause when it's *their* software.
>
> Why did Microsoft reinvent Java ... twice (Microsoft VM, then .NET)?
>
> Why did Microsoft reinvent Flash (Silverlight)?
>
> Why did Microsoft reinvent PDF (XPS)?
>
> Why did Microsoft reinvent ODF (OOXML)?
>
> Microsoft are the masters of reinvention (or assimilation, to put it
> less euphemistically), so I find it deeply ironic that Fuddie should
> choose to play that card. In fact it's debatable if the Vole has *ever*
> truly "invented" anything, in the commonly accepted definition of the term:
>
> "Usually Microsoft doesn't develop products, we buy products" ~ Arno
> Edelmann, Microsoft's European business security product manager.
>
> http://news.zdnet.co.uk/security/0,1000000189,39286351,00.htm?r=2

They also imitate security products now, just like OneCare. And they do so
badly (c/f article above).

"Monopoly raises two classes of problems for a free society. First, the
existence of monopoly means a limitation on voluntary exchange through a
reduction in the alternatives available to individuals. Second, the existence
of monopoly raises the issue of “social responsibility”, as it has come to be
called, of the monopolist."

                --Milton Friedman