[News] MySQL and Sun Raise Serious Questions About Dual Licensing

It's official: The future of Sun/MySQL is open...and closed

,----[ Quote ]
| The core will always be 100 percent open source. The periphery...will not. Or
| might not. It depends.
`----

http://www.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9936820-16.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=TheOpenRoad

Dual-licensing: revoking the GPL

,----[ Quote ]
| Remember, less than 3 months later SUN announced  MySQL acquisition.
|
| This paints a summary of what could happen to a DL company even if  nobody's
| initial commitment is questioned.
|
|     * DL Company dies: what happens to the IP/trademarks/licenses?
|     * DL Company undergoes a change of control: what happens to the
|     community?
|     * DL company sells/gives its open source interest to a third party...
|
| Shouldn't we have some sort of  open source prenuptial agreement applying to
| DL companies and their communities?
`----

http://blog.milkingthegnu.org/2008/05/dual-licensing.html

Related:

Sun to dual-license OpenSolaris

,----[ Quote ]
| An anonymous source close to Sun revealed that the company plans to
| dual-license OpenSolaris, making the source code available under the
| GPL3 as well as the CDDL. Sun supposedly plans to complete the
| dual-licensing process after the GPL3 solidifies. At present, the
| GPL3 is still being revised.
`----

http://arstechndica.com/news.ars/post/20070117-8635.html

The Linux Kernel on a Dual Basis?