[News] Free Software Becomes Central in Industry, Some Focus Lost

‘Open Source software is the software establishment!’

,----[ Quote ]
| It can be amusing when news articles or blogs are written about a
| report/study that has only been released or read in excerpt.
`----

http://www.dhanapalan.com/blog/2008/05/03/open-source-software-is-the-software-establishment/

Microsoft has just joined the board of some 'open source' something in Germany.
To Microsoft, there's open-source which is separate free (gratis) software,
i.e. dumping/getting children "sort of addicted". Then there's the GPL, which
Gates "disagrees with". They just try to take over "open source" and throw out
the libre, shove software patents in and ruin the whole thing with Windows
dependency. And then there's the lost sight of the original goals:

Non-free SF on free systems

,----[ Quote ]
| People are ignorant, but we already know that. As usual, I’ve read something
| really stupid on Twitter this morning. It said: I hope Apple will develop for
| everyone [every OS]. I think it would be one of the worst things to ever
| happen. Why do people want to install non-free software on free systems?
|
| [...]
|
| The insistence of running Adobe Photoshop on GNU/Linux is a good example of
| this. I’m not going to talk about the Photoshop/The Gimp challenge, although
| I manage well myself using The Gimp. Each user should know that Adobe
| Photoshop has a horrible license which it doesn’t allow the freedom to run,
| modify and redistribute it. The Gimp (GNU Image Manipulation Program) is
| available under the terms of the GNU General Public License (GPL), so we have
| the freedom to run, copy, change, study, distribute, improve the software and
| release our improvements. That’s how the community gets benefits. The Gimp,
| like free software, contributes to human knowledge, whilst Adobe Photoshop,
| like non-free software does not.
|
| I read a message in a mailing list that could not have shocked me more. It
| said: Google also sponsored some work by Codeweavers to improve [Wine]
| support for Photoshop (’cause so many people want it) What a bad news for the
| free software! That’s not what people want, that’s not what GNU/Linux was
| made for. Why don’t Google support The Gimp instead of a Wine support for
| Adobe Photoshop?
`----

http://www.alfonsojimenez.com/2008/05/04-non-free-sf-on-free-systems

Recent:

Open source: 'World's largest software company'

,----[ Quote ]
| The Standish Group found 11 per cent of all new commercial software
| requirements are satisfied by open source solutions and components. That
| figure doesn't include application service providers (ASPs) that use open
| source to service their clients.
`----

http://software.silicon.com/os/0,39024651,39201838,00.htm

Accurate market share statistics and The $60 Billion dollar question

,----[ Quote ]
| One of our Editors, Carla Schroder mentioned that the headline could just as
| easily be "Consumers and businesses save $60 billion, and have money to spend
| on useful things, instead of predatory overpriced software licenses" and a
| reader wrote it could be titled "Innovative corporations have saved over $60B
| by switching to Open Source". Because if we're going to spin it, we might as
| well spin it our way right? Who's to say that the huge markup in sales price
| by Microsoft hasn't resulted in many of Microsoft's customers having to get
| by posting smaller than usual profits. Wouldn't that cost the IT industry
| money? A ton of money is my bet.

Source of the revolution

,----[ Quote ]
`----