[News] [Rival] Microsoft's .NET Shredded to Pieces Again

- From Win32 to Cocoa, Part II

,----[ Quote ]
| In part one, Bright heavily criticised the Win32 API, saying it was filled
| with legacy stuff and hindered by 15 year old design decisions. In part two
| he explains that as an answer to the complaints, Microsoft introduced
| the .Net framework, which was supposed to replace the Win32 API as the API of
| choice for Windows; in fact, the next release of Windows, Longhorn, would
| make heavy use of .Net. "It could have provided salvation," Bright writes.
|
| But it didn't. According to Bright, .Net was fine technically, with a "sound"
| virtual machine, "reasonable" performance, and an "adequate" language (C#),
| but the library - "used for such diverse tasks as writing files, reading data
| from databases, sending information over a network, parsing XML, or creating
| a GUI" - the library is "extremely bad". Bright explains that this is due to
| the target audience of .Net.
`----

http://www.osnews.com/story/19714

Java is GPL now. What can Microsoft do other than exploit Novell and de Icaza?

Recent:

How The GPL Can Save Your Ass

,----[ Quote ]
| If you are the multi-billion dollar IT industry you stick you head in the
| sand and just keep making cars. It is after all, not your problem. That seems
| to be the attitude of almost every company with a vested interest in the
| computing market. There was a recent announcement indicating Intel and
| Microsoft have put up $10 million to fund research in parallel software. Hah!
| I'm going to laugh harder this time HAH, HAH! Ever here the phase pissing in
| the ocean, well this is more like throwing a match into the sun. We need
| more -- much more.
|
| [...]
|
| Second, the entire in industry must co-operate and be involved. We need
| everyone working on this problem. The best minds in high performance
| computing have been at it for quite a while and it is time to turn up the
| volume. Fantasies of telling your R&D guys to get on it are not enough.
| Trying to corral your Intellectual Property (IP) with trade secrets and
| patents is wishful thinking. The rocket scientists (and plenty of other smart
| people) have been working on this issue for a long time. You don't have the
| time to waste trying to expand your IP fiefdom. Instead start thinking about
| what happens when the next generation of products is of absolutely no
| interest to your customers.
|
| Third we need to respond quickly. There is no time for IP agreements,
| posturing, and NIH ego trips (Not Invented Here). We need leaders to
| recognize the scope and magnitude of this challenge and act. Before too long,
| it will not be unreasonable to have four or even eight cores in a desktop. A
| workstation or server may have double this amount. It would sure be nice if
| my software could effectively use all these cores.
|
| [...]
|
| Using the GPL will immediately remove issues that would normally choke such
| an important undertaking. First, the any IP barriers get pushed aside and
| everyone can cooperate openly
`----

http://www.linux-mag.com/id/5379

2006:

TIOBE Programming Community Index for November 2006

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.tiobe.com/index.htm?tiobe_index