[News] SCO Scum Moves in to 'Mother Ship' Microsoft

Microsoft hires SCO veteran as its Competitive Strategy guru

,----[ Quote ]
| IBM and others have shredded Gupta's work for SCO, and a judge couldn't throw
| it out fast enough.
|
| Gupta may be a great person, but he's not a UNIX, Linux, or Windows expert.
| Perhaps that's just what Microsoft wants? After all, SCO once said of Gupta
| that "he is able to laser-focus on product deliverables." If half-truths in
| the interest of competitive strategy are what Microsoft wants in terms of
| deliverables, Microsoft couldn't do better than to pull in the SCO team.
|
| Disappointing. Shame on you, Microsoft.
`----

http://www.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9936449-16.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=TheOpenRoad

Sandy Gupta Shows Up - Working at Microsoft - Updated

,----[ Quote ]
| Guess where Sandeep Gupta landed after he left SCO? If I put a blindfold on
| you and told you to point on the map, you'd still guess Microsoft, wouldn't
| you? And you'd be right. From January, that is where he found a soft landing,
| as Director, Technical Competitive Strategy of the Server & Tools Division.
|
| [...]
|
| This was back in 2004. They may think we all forgot, but Groklaw never
| forgets. And if I need to remind you, the SCO v. IBM  case is yet to be
| tried. So Microsoft has hired Gupta midstream.
|
| Here's what another famous computer expert, Brian W. Kernighan, said after
| reviewing Gupta's work:
|
|     Furthermore, in places, Mr. Gupta's conclusions of similarity depend on
|     his selecting isolated lines of code from disparate places and putting
|     them together as if contiguous blocks of code were involved (which they
|     are not) and important differences did not exist (which they do).
|
| So. You may draw your own conclusions as to why he is being rewarded with a
| plum position at Microsoft after a performance so stunningly rebutted. Mine
| is that he knows too much and that he fits in perfectly.

Feeling the heat at Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| If I ask you who is Microsoft's biggest competitor now, who would it be?

| to go with that.
`----

http://www.news.com/Feeling-the-heat-at-Microsoft/2008-1012_3-6232458.html?tag=ne.fd.mnbc

Microsoft's SEC:

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www. microsoft.com/msft/SEC/default.mspx

| "We've moved past the ideology," said Sutor, in Salt Lake City
| Thursday to attend graduation ceremonies at Neumont University."
| Many people have figured out that there are a number of ways tom
| ake money from the 'open source' model."
|
| [...]
|
| The litigation has been characterized as part of a proxy war being
|                                                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| waged by Microsoft against Linux, seen as a prime challenger to
| ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| Windows. Microsoft has been a prime funding source for SCO, but
| earlier this month stunned open-sourcers by announcing a development
| pact for Novell's Suse-brand of Linux.
`----

http://www.sltrib.com/ci_4679245?source=rss

Did Microsoft ruin SCO?