[News] Microsoft Quite Likely Left Outside the Internet Mesh, Cloud

- From Live Mesh to the Open Mesh

,----[ Quote ]
| Canter has been an evangelist for a Web without walled gardens. He also has a
| financial stake in the open mesh. He runs a company called Broadband
| Mechanics that has developed a white label social network and Web site
| creation service that depends on open standards.
|
| The open mesh is not Microsoft's Live Mesh. The open mesh is "made up of
| vendors, standards, and glue code that connects a wide range of services,
| applications, and platforms together," Canter said.
`----

http://www.news.com/8301-13953_3-9935292-80.html

Projects like GNU, Apache and Linux are likely to continue to make up the
fabric of the Web with support from Red Hat, Google, IBM, Amazon, Oracle and
many more. News from Apache, which is still gaining market share:

Filipina named head of global open source project

,----[ Quote ]
| A soft-spoken Filipina in her early twenties was recently named project
| leader of one of many open source community projects run by the Apache
| Software Foundation.
`----

http://www.inquirer.net/specialfeatures/thegoodnews/view.php?db=1&article=20080504-134493

Yesterday:

Microsoft's Yahoo Pratfall

,----[ Quote ]
| In the business textbooks of 2025, Microsoft’s slow collapse will be
| attributed to many things. The failure of Windows Vista to hold the desktop
| market; Microsoft’s inability to successfully move from a PC product based
| company to an Internet service based enterprise; and Ballmer’s inability to
| pull off the Yahoo buyout.
|
| Now, buying Yahoo wasn’t going to guarantee Microsoft transition from a 20th
| century product-oriented company to a 21st century SAAS (Software as a
| Service) business, but it was a better shot than the Microsoft continuing to
| push its confusing mish-mash of Windows Live programs.
|
| As it is, Microsoft’s brand is losing value; Google is beating the pants off
| the company on the Internet; and Linux and Apple are making gains on the
| desktop. Adding insult to injury, open-source programs like Firefox are
| gaining marketshare at the expense of Microsoft’s own products.
`----

http://blogs.computerworld.com/microsofts_yahoo_pratfall

Is Live Mesh Dead Before Arrival?

,----[ Quote ]
| As former Microsoftie Joel Spolsky opined, Live Mesh is not the first time
| Microsoft has tried a master plan for connecting everything via the Internet.
| It's not clear how this effort will end any better for Microsoft than the
| last one.
|
| The first attempt that Microsoft made at everything-to-everything
| connectivity was about eight years ago, and was code-named HailStorm.
| Microsoft's master plan didn't go quite the way they hoped, and HailStorm was
| never released. One of the remnants of that effort is Passport, now renamed
| and known as Windows Live ID. But in the meantime, people have figured out
| how to craft their own connectivity using everything from RSS feeds to
| Twitter.
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/blog/main/archives/2008/05/is_live_mesh_de.html

Days ago:

The cloud era and open source

,----[ Quote ]
| Questions of “server market share” will go away, replaced by market shares
| for applications and traffic. Or shares for whose cloud programs are living
| in. The answers may prove cloudy indeed.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=2379

Too Many Vendors Or Not Enough Innovation?

,----[ Quote ]
| This has obviously been debated ad nauseam, but the perfect storm of open
| source, cloud computing, and Web 2.0 certainly makes for interesting
| speculation.
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/blog/main/archives/2008/05/too_many_vendor.html

Google, IBM Join Forces To Dominate 'Cloud Computing'

,----[ Quote ]
| The IBM-Google cloud, which to Microsoft might look more like an approaching
| thunderhead, runs on Linux, which has long been embraced by IBM as a
| non-Windows alternative.
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/news/services/data/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=207404265

Enomaly’s open source virtual platform moves VMs in the cloud

,----[ Quote ]
| The platform, Enomalism, is a virtual infrastructure tool that allows
| customers create their own cloud capacity and move virtual machines from
| one’s data center or from anywhere on the cloud to virtually any location. It
| is similar in some respects to VMware’s VirtualCenter VM management platform
| but is designed for larger capacity computing and managing applications in
| the cloud.
|
| [...]
|
| Cohen, who founded Enomaly as a consulting firm four years ago, said he
| prefers Linux’s built in kernel-based virtual machine (KVM) technology...
|
| ]...]
|
| Enomaly is sponsored (but not financially supported) by Intel. It is released
| under the AGPL license, sort of a GPL3 implementation for hosted solutions,
| Cohen said.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/virtualization/?p=407

Lost in the Clouds

,----[ Quote ]
| Just as the open source LAMP stack created the current wave of Web 2.0
| companies, so free software will run the magic machinery keeping clouds
| aloft.
`----

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2008/04/lost-in-clouds.html

Recent:

Red Hat Prepping Managed Services Strategy

,----[ Quote ]
| The convergence of open source with managed services and software as a
| service (SaaS) continues. The latest example: Red Hat, arguably the world’s
| best-known open source company, has created two staff positions to serve
| hosting partners. Plus, Red Hat is evaluating a strategy to work more closely
| with managed service providers, MSPmentor has learned. Here’s the scoop.
`----

http://www.mspmentor.net/2008/04/21/red-hat-prepping-managed-services-strategy/

Force.com: Salesforce Moves into the Platform Business

,----[ Quote ]
| If you imagine the "Platform as a Service" (PaaS) landscape as a spectrum,
| you have offerings like Amazon's EC2 at one end. EC2 is essentially a
| VM-based technology with some scalability infrastructure, but you have to
| roll everything else yourself, from persistence to failover. In the middle,
| you have products like Google's App Engine, which allow you to deploy an
| application with many of the underlying nuts-and-bolts concerns handled by
| Google, but is still essentially a deployment environment that you hand-code
| Python with.
`----

http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/reports/6477/1/

Sun obscured by The Cloud

,----[ Quote ]
| I wrote previously that "Java-in-the-cloud" will lead us
| to "Platform-as-a-Service" and as I continue to think about it, Sun has more
| of the pieces than any other BigCo--the right of hardware, operating system
| (Solaris) and development environment (Java) than does HP, IBM, or Microsoft.
| And don't forget that they also have MySQL and a huge development community.
`----

http://www.cnet.com/8301-13846_1-9922762-62.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=NegativeApproach

Truviso Contributes PostgreSQL Enhancements to Open Source Community

,----[ Quote ]
| As part of its commitment to the open source community, Truviso, a leading
| provider of next-generation business intelligence solutions, today announced
| that it has completed an enhancement to the PostgreSQL open source database
| system that further extends its suitability for streaming data analysis.
| Truviso also announced it will contribute this enhancement to the PostgreSQL
| community, reinforcing the company’s foundational tenet of building upon and
| sharing mutually beneficial improvements to open source code with the
| PostgreSQL community.
`----

http://www.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20080418005165&newsLang=en

Amazon keeps getting the Cloud right while everyone else snoozes

,----[ Quote ]
| The cloud has become one of the most interesting market dynamics since open
| source.
`----

http://www.cnet.com/8301-13846_1-9922719-62.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=NegativeApproach

Firefox Extension for Amazon EC2 - an EC2 for the rest of us?

,----[ Quote ]
| The Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (Amazon EC2) is a Web-based service that
| allows business subscribers to run application programs in the Amazon.com
| computing environment. The EC2 can serve as a practically unlimited set of
| virtual machines.
`----

http://www.raiden.net/?cat=2&aid=397

Battle of developer ecosystems heads for the cloud

,----[ Quote ]
| Open source comes to platform-as-a-service
|
| Coghead's development service and gallery are specifically aimed at small
| businesses, both developers and customers. It is aiming to recruit
| value-added resellers or independent consultants with 2 to 20 people,
| according to company CEO Paul McNamara.
|
| With a hosted development environment, they can write a Web application and
| get into the software-as-a-service business, he said.
`----

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9916413-7.html

Related:

Another step toward the online "cloud computing" life

,----[ Quote ]
| Web-based computing has these advantages: It doesn't matter what kind of
| computer you use. Mac, Windows, Linux, Ubuntu -- they're all the same. It
| doesn't matter whose computer you're using, or where. You don't have to drag
| hard drives or USB sticks or even computers around with you, or copy files
| between a desktop and a laptop machine to keep them up to date. You just sit
| down wherever you get a web connection and dig in. Everything you need is
| stored in the internet "cloud."
`----

http://jamesfallows.theatlantic.com/archives/2008/03/another_step_toward_the_online.php

IBM moves on secure mashups

,----[ Quote ]
| IBM is unveiling technology to secure mashups Thursday and is donating it to
| the OpenAjax Alliance, an organization promoting AJAX (Asynchronous
| JavaScript and XML) interoperability.
`----

http://www.infoworld.com/article/08/03/12/ibm-smash-mashups_1.html

Forget Facebook. The Web's platform is Firefox

,----[ Quote ]
| That user experience is starting to evolve beyond today's browsing
| experience. The most interesting topic discussed in our meeting was just how
| compelling Mozilla's Firefox will increasingly be as the platform for much
| that happens on the Web. Forget Facebook, MySpace, the iPhone, and other
| so-called platforms. Firefox could well prove to be the most disruptive Web
| platform on the market. Here's why.
`----

http://www.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9893479-16.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Start-up Xcerion offers a peek at the clouds

http://www.news.com/8301-13860_3-9893519-56.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

A walk through Xcerion's icloud

,----[ Quote ]
| Xcerion, a little-known Swedish start-up, has created a browser-based
| environment known as icloud that looks a whole lot like a Windows or Linux
| desktop.
`----

http://www.news.com/2300-1012_3-6234262-1.html?part=rss&tag=6234262&subj=news

Cloud Computing - Did anybody notice Microsoft’s SQL Server Data Services
Announcement?

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux has an early lead in
| this area with service offerings like Amazon’s Linux based S3 and IBM’s Blue
| Cloud which uses Xen and PowerVM virtualized Linux operating-system images.
`----

http://www.linux-foundation.org/weblogs/jzemlin/2008/03/14/cloud-computing-did-anybody-notice-microsofts-sql-server-data-services-announcement/

Enterprise Unix Roundup: Unix Heads for the Clouds

,----[ Quote ]
| And if — if — cloud computing advances to the point where we do indeed use
| devices that connect to the cloud with virtually no on-board software,
| Microsoft will be shut out of that part of the cloud, too. Its embedded OS
| has not demonstrated a real market strength or scalability. But Linux has.
|
| [...]
|
| And out on the servers and mainframes that will be serving up this cloud
| goodness? Unix, BSD, Linux ... all secure, all ready to scale for any sized
| job.
|
| Pretty scary ... for Microsoft.
`----

http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/osrc/article.php/3731186

IBM-Google partnership merges best features of Internet and corporate
computing, IBM exec says

,----[ Quote ]
| Isn’t it an advantage to be more diversified, or would you rather rely on a
| huge cash cow like Windows?
|
| Diversity is generally viewed as an advantage. We think it is. On the other
| hand, having a monopoly has its advantages too. What more could you say? They
| make an enormous amount of money on Office and Windows. They have a very low
| cost of sales, relatively modest amount of development. It’s enormously
| profitable. And that’s the characteristic of a monopoly, which you’re allowed
| to have. You’re just not allowed to abuse them.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2008/020708-mills.html?fsrc=rss-linux-news

Is Red Hat's New Development Environment Destined for an Amazon or IBM Cloud?

,----[ Quote ]
| So who will be the one to move their tools environment to the Amazon cloud
| first? Perhaps Amazon will offer several tools options, such as one for web
| apps and mashups, and another (or two) for Java development? You know you
| want to, Jeff.
`----

http://seekingalpha.com/article/56865-is-red-hat-s-new-development-environment-destined-for-an-amazon-or-ibm-cloud?source=yahoo

Aiming for the Clouds: The Red Hat Q&A

,----[ Quote ]
| Q: To get back to the original question, what is your assessment of the
| potential impact?
|
| A: It’s early, but November’s news was a good indication that innovation
| amongst economic models and deployment scenarios is still possible. Not to
| dismiss the importance of some of the new features of RHEL 5.1, but over the
| longer term I think AOS and the Cloud offering are far more important than
| mere bells and whistles, because they make Red Hat a competitor in markets
| where its penetration is currently low. Even if it’s success in those areas,
| then, is minimal, the news remains very significant.
`----

http://redmonk.com/sogrady/2007/11/19/redhat_cloud/

Will the biggest clouds stay open source?

,----[ Quote ]
| Everyone wants to become Google these days. In a way.
|
| Google runs Linux.
|
| A lot of enterprises, from banking to health care, are now looking to deploy
| gigantic Internet-facing applications to customer sets numbering in the tens
| of millions. (Government, too.)
|
| The biggest and best IT system suppliers are gearing up for what they
| call “cloud” computing. IBM floated its offering today.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=1684

Xcerion's Internet Cloud Forms Over Google and Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| If successful, it may be able to further erode the power Microsoft
| derives from control of the desktop, to beat Google at its
| software-as-a-service play, and to make commodity Linux boxes more
| viable as a computing platform for the masses.
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/showArticle.jhtml;jsessionid=R2FGBWGYKLN5OQSNDLPCKH0CJUNN2JVN?articleID=197700815&queryText=xml
http://tinyurl.com/ynkp9q

IBM's Blue Cloud: The Tipping Point for Enterprise IT as Service

,----[ Quote ]
| IBM's Blue Cloud, arriving in the first half of 2008, will use IBM
| BladeCenter servers, a Linux operating system, Xen-based virtualization and
| the company's own Tivoli management software.
`----

http://seekingalpha.com/article/54406-ibm-s-blue-cloud-the-tipping-point-for-enterprise-it-as-service?source=yahoo

IBM to turn datacenters into 'computing cloud'

| IBM is calling the initiative Blue Cloud, and compared its significance to
| its decision several years ago to throw its weight behind Linux, which helped
| the open-source OS become more widely accepted by corporations.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/infoworld/20071115/tc_infoworld/93434

Red Hat Pits Itself Against VMware

,----[ Quote ]
| Red Hat’s new goal is to underpin 50% of the world’s servers by 2015.
|
| And since virtualization is projected to take over the world by then that’s a
| lot of Xen virtualization – and there’s no extra cost in it like there is
| with VMware since it’s bundled with RHEL. (Red Hat’s telling people they’ll
| save $20,000-$30,000 a server.)
`----

http://www.clientservernews.com/

RHEL just tripled the size of its ISV ecosystem!

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://sacha.labourey.com/2007/11/14/rhel-just-tripled-the-size-of-its-isv-ecosystem/