[News] Oracle Chooses GNU/Linux Not Because of Cost

Inhouse Linux support not viable in the long run?

,----[ Quote ]
| Is Linux therefore the choice platform simply because it comes free?
| Absolutely not, said Owenby. "If you look at its ability to run on commodity
| hardware but have the stability and security model of a very good Unix
| system, you can't deny that that's fantastic.
|
| "The fact that it is freely available just happens to be just one of its
| benefits. But it is the least important benefit," Owenby added.
|
| On Oracle's support program it calls Unbreakable Linux Support, Owenby said
| its biggest value proposition is "premier backporting", a service which
| isolates and patches individual bugs on a customer's Linux installation.
`----

http://www.zdnetasia.com/news/software/0,39044164,62040909,00.htm?scid=rss_z_nw

"Premier backporting"? Not control? Not libre factor? Typical Oracle.

Feeling the heat at Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.news.com/Feeling-the-heat-at-Microsoft/2008-1012_3-6232458.html?tag=ne.fd.mnbc