[News] Australia Opens Up Patents Database, More Acceptance of Free Software

New patent database exposes inventors' old ideas

,----[ Quote ]
| The Federal government and patent agency IP Australia have launched a new
| open, online database featuring almost 20 years’ worth of the country’s
| patent application records, in a bid to make it easier for inventors to check
| if someone else has already had their light bulb moment.
`----

http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/software/soa/New-patent-database-exposes-inventors-old-ideas/0,130061733,339288575,00.htm

Also from Australia:

Open Source is the 'software establishment', report says

,----[ Quote ]
| “FOSS is inherently compatible with a free market, and hence with business,”
| he said.
|
| “There is no closed-off 'command economy' that is characterised by
| proprietary software companies. “
|
| “The software and its development are totally open to the world.”
`----

http://www.itnews.com.au/News/75163,open-source-is-the-software-establishment-report-says.aspx

Days ago:

Is Open Source adoption set to mushroom in Australia?

,----[ Quote ]
| Optimism and take-up is growing around the platform-independent code with the
| industry taking more notice of this fast growing area
`----

http://www.crn.com.au/Feature/4427,is-open-source-adoption-set-to-mushroom-in-australia.aspx

Recent:

Australian open source industry worth $500 million

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.apcmag.com/australian_open_source_industry_worth_500_million.htm