[News] Vietnamese Local Authorities Use Free Software to Reduce Copyrights Infringement

  • Subject: [News] Vietnamese Local Authorities Use Free Software to Reduce Copyrights Infringement
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 03 May 2008 17:49:43 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Software piracy is a tough nut to crack

,----[ Quote ]
| Due to the high cost of commercial software, a number of organisations and
| individuals have opted to use free open source software instead. After a
| number of studies, local authorities in Phu Tho, Hai Phong and Ha Tinh
| decided to build new electronic information portals using open source
| software.
`----

http://english.vietnamnet.vn/tech/2008/05/781001/

Quote for the day:

"Don’t encourage new, cross-platform Java classes, especially don’t help get
great Win 32 implementations written/deployed. [...] Do encourage
fragmentation of the Java classlib space."

                                --Ben Slivka, Microsoft

Recent:

Ministry encourages open source software

,----[ Quote ]
| HA NOI — The Ministry of Information and Communications has recommended that
| state agencies use four open source software products – Open Office,
| Thunderbird, Firefox and Unikey.
`----

http://vietnamnews.vnagency.com.vn/showarticle.php?num=01BUS050108

The Haven for Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| VietNamNet Bridge – It is the less-known name in the local information
| technology industry, but Linux is poised to become the most-used solution for
| the IT community, given the blessing from authorities.
`----

http://english.vietnamnet.vn/tech/2008/01/762523/

Related:

Vietnam Chooses Open Source to Offset Piracy

,----[ Quote ]
| A ministry official refused to comment on whether the move was made as a
| means of reducing software infringement in Vietnam or stimulating demand for
| research.
`----

http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/Vietnam-Chooses-Open-Source-to-Offset-Piracy-60971.html

Hacao Classmate PC lands in Vietnam

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.slashgear.com/hacao-classmate-pc-lands-in-vietnam-289244.php

Ministry encourages open source software

,----[ Quote ]
| The Ministry of Information and Communications has recommended state agencies
| use four open source software products - Open Office, Thunderbird, Firefox
| and Unikey.
`----

http://english.vietnamnet.vn/tech/2007/12/761476/

Hacao Classmate PC avaiable ! [and Vietnam grows on OpenOffice.org]

,----[ Quote ]
| Merry Christmas & Happy New Year!
|
| Hot news from Vietnam here...
`----

http://www.tuxmachines.org/node/22928

Students using PCLinuxOS in Vietnam

,----[ Quote ]
| Finally, I decided to test PCLinuxOS with my students. Wow, amazing. Finally
| a Linux distro that the majority of my students actually liked using. It ran
| faster than any of the other Linux distros they tried and easily connected to
| the internet from inside the school (they like to read Yahoo 360 blogs in
| class). They figured out how to use Konquerer to browse around the different
| directories in their laptops without me even telling them. As with Macbooks,
| the Desktop GUI was easy to learn. Thus, I decided to use PCLinuxOS.
`----

http://www.saigonnezumi.com/?p=516

Intel's OLPC-killer heads for Vietnamese retailers

,----[ Quote ]
| The "Hacao Classmate PC" is based on Intel's Classmate PC design, and will
| come pre-installed with Hacao Linux, a Vietnamese-language Linux distribution
| based on Puppy Linux.
`----      ^^^^^^^^^^^

Vietsoftware join forces with Asianux

http://english.vietnamnet.vn/tech/2007/07/724393/

Hacao Linux 2.16 Professional released

http://www.tuxmachines.org/node/17481#comment-5619

Sun shares its technology with Vietnam's open source community

http://english.vietnamnet.vn/tech/2007/05/699418/

State [Vietnam] promotes use of shareware

http://vietnamnews.vnagency.com.vn/showarticle.php?num=02BUS140507

Vietnam gives priority to open source software

http://english.vietnamnet.vn/tech/2007/04/686282/

Open-source software offers affordable option

http://vietnamnews.vnagency.com.vn/showarticle.php?num=02BUS220107

Microsoft/Intel Lobbying against Free software:

Software copyright purchase: no monopoly in Govt agencies

,----[ Quote ]
| Free open source software is encouraged for use in not only
| government agencies but in the whole of society as well. The
| purchase of Microsoft software copyright will help promote
| the wider use of open source software. If using illegal
| commercial software without having to pay fees, nobody
| would think of using open source software.
`----

http://english.vietnamnet.vn/tech/2007/05/697667/

Microsoft CEO Visits Vietnam

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer witnessed the signing of an agreement
| Monday requiring all of Vietnam's government offices to use licensed
| computer software in a step to curb rampant piracy.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/070521/vietnam_microsoft_anti_piracy.html?.v=2

Gates promotes PC training in Colombia

,----[ Quote ]
| The government and Microsoft also two signed agreements Monday
| stressing Uribe's strong commitment to Microsoft products at a
| time other countries in the region are promoting the non-proprietary
| Linux operating system.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070319/ap_on_hi_te/colombia_bill_gates

Vietnam is to pay billions of dollars for software copyrights

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://english.vietnamnet.vn/tech/2007/02/667146/

Open-source software offers affordable option

,----[ Quote ]
| Reducing the widespread use of pirated software in Viet Nam will be
| an uphill struggle because of the high costs of legal software
| products, according to industry experts.
|
| But if shop owners, government offices and local consumers adopt
| open-source software -- which is essentially free -- piracy could fall
| dramatically, they added.
|
| [...]
|
| The government may in the future set up a unit within the Department
| of Post and Telematics that would assist consumers in the use of
| open-source software.
`----

http://vietnamnews.vnagency.com.vn/showarticle.php?num=02BUS220107

Vietnam Praised for Economic Reforms

,----[ Quote ]
| "Vietnam has demonstrated to the world its capacity for quantum leaps,"
| said Craig Mundie, chief research and strategy officer for
| Microsoft Corp.
|
| "It's clear that the government has recognized that broad-based
| reform and economic liberalization are essential to Vietnam's
| integration into the global economy," Mundie said.
|
| [...]
|
| The summit has brought fresh opportunities, with Vietnam signing
| two deals with U.S. companies worth $1.5 billion.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/061116/apec_ceo_summit.html?.v=2

Vietnam's Communist Party gets help from Intel

,----[ Quote ]
| The Communist Party's decision to use open-source software matches a
| wider Vietnamese government effort. In 2004, the government announced
| plans to promote the use of open-source software in a bid to reduce its
| IT costs and promote the development of the local software industry.
`----

http://www.infoworld.com/article/06/08/25/HNvietnamintel_1.html?source=rss&url=www.infoworld.com/article/06/08/25/HNvietnamintel_1.html
http://tinyurl.com/zz3s8

Intel Raises Vietnam's High-Tech Profile

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/061117/vietnam_intel.html?.v=2