[News] Mozilla Warns About Adobe, Apple and Microsoft's Malicious Software

Mozilla speaks out against the free-but-proprietary Web apps

,----[ Quote ]
| There's one very easy way to resolve the tension: open source. Open standards
| are a nice start, but they provide no way to guarantee the future openness of
| a product. Only open source leaves the gate free to swing both in and out of
| a technology.
|
| In short, open source is a good way to ensure that "free" doesn't come to
| mean "prison."
`----

http://www.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9934185-16.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Apple update trick triples Safari share

| In surreptitiously slipping Safari onto Windows by way of the Apple Updater,
| Steve Jobs and his minions have tripled the browser's market share.
|
| [...]
|
| CEO John Lilly has even accused Steve Jobs of compromising the security of
| the entire internet. "What Apple is doing now with their Apple Software
| Update on Windows is wrong," Lilly wrote on his personal blog. "It undermines
| the trust relationship great companies have with their customers, and that’s
| bad - not just for Apple, but for the security of the whole Web."
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/05/02/safari_share_triples/

Recent:

Webtop software development with LAMP and Prism (video)

,----[ Quote ]
| Bridging the gap between the desktop and the Internet is becoming easier and
| easier. In this video I show you how to create an application that looks and
| feels like a desktop application but runs on a typical Linux, Apache, MySQL,
| and PHP stack. The application has a back end database, is written in PHP,
| and uses Mozilla XUL instead of HTML. I also discuss how to use Mozilla Prism
| to create a streamlined version of the application that will run outside of a
| typical Web browser.
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/132423

Related:

Mozilla's Prism to bring Web apps to desktop

,----[ Quote ]
| Mozilla now has prototypes of Prism running on Windows with early versions on
| Mac and Linux under way.
|
| Future versions include offline access to information with Firefox 3 and
| three-dimensional graphics.
`----

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9805103-7.html

Firefox 3 and Google team up for offline apps

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/118296/firefox-3-and-google-team-up-for-offline-apps.html