[News] US Government Project Embraces Free Software

Utah Pilots Open Source Infectious Disease Management System

,----[ Quote ]
| Collaborative Software Initiative (CSI) today announced the release of the
| first open source, Web-based infectious disease reporting and management
| system.
`----

http://www.govtech.com/gt/323349?topic=117674

If the taxpayers fund it, it's natural to give it back to the public.

Related:

UK government launches open source CO2 calculatorUK government launches open
source CO2 calculator

,----[ Quote ]
| Back in March the UK’s Conservative Party vowed to encourage the adoption
| of open source adoption if elected at the next General Election.*
|
| Today the Labour Party did its bit by releasing the code behind its new
| carbon footprint calculator under the general public license.
`----

http://www.businessreviewonline.com/os/archives/2007/06/uk_government_l.html

Petition the UK Government to protect GPL software

,----[ Quote ]
| Since software patents may threaten this fundamentally important freedom, we
| propose that software published under the GNU General Public Licence (version
| 3 and above) be given immunity from prosecution from patent infringement
| under the Copyright Designs and Patents Act.
`----

http://www.libervis.com/article/petition_the_uk_government_to_protect_gpl_software

SSC to release portal code under GPL

,----[ Quote ]
| "I wrote a few weeks ago about how they should consider releasing software
| under the GPL," Christie writes. "Well, they have taken that on board and
| agreed to work with Catalyst to release the code for behind the new
| government portal (newzealand.govt.nz) under the GPL. I thought this was a
| great demonstration of how willing government agencies are to engage and take
| on board alternate ideas."
`----

http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/tech/E53E8CAE4C30736DCC2574250031EAE7

Report: Linux, open source greener than Windows

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://searchopensource.techtarget.com/originalContent/0,289142,sid39_gci1246762,00.html?track=sy184
http://tinyurl.com/38cge3