[News] [Rival] Microsoft Admits Vista is a Consumer-hostile DRM Dogpile

[Not in these words, but it's self-explanatory:]

Microsoft confirms Windows adheres to broadcast flag

,----[ Quote ]
| News that the world's largest software maker has voluntarily agreed to help
| broadcasters control the recording of their shows is bound to outrage
| enthusiasts of digital video recorders, as it represents the biggest threat
| to the practice known as time shifting since the FCC's attempt to require
| flag adherence.
`----

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9946780-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Time shifting is a small problem compared to the one below.

Earlier:

Update: Why is NBC Flagging Digital TV Programs - and Why is Microsoft  Obeying
It?

,----[ Quote ]
| After further investigation of reports of Vista refusing to record NBC, we
| have found at least one case where a user receiving digital TV over-the-air
| has been blocked from recording TV shows. Justin Sanders, who took this
| screenshot, says he was recording Raleigh's HDTV channel WNCN-DT1 on his
| Vista machine when a popup stating that "restrictions set by the
| broadcaster ... prohibit recording of this program" appeared.
|
| This is significant: this is the first case we've heard of equipment
| voluntarily obeying broadcast flag-like restrictions on TV content digitally
| broadcast over-the-air.
|
| The broadcast flag is a small piece of data broadcast alongside a digital TV
| program. The ability to flag broadcast content was created by the ATSC
| standard which governs digital TV broadcasts in the United States. By itself
| the broadcast flag cannot restrict use of broadcast content. Instead, its
| force comes from a tech mandate law - an FCC regulation - which required
| manufacturers of DTV-receiving devices to detect and respond to "switched on"
| broadcast flags. EFF and others opposed the use of the broadcast flag and
| fought successfully to have the FCC regulation overturned by the courts. We
| did that because it handed control over your hardware to a remote authority,
| limited your right to your fair use of media, and would have made illegal
| open source products like MythTV. As a result of that victory, manufacturers
| are not legally required to force their devices to detect and respond to the
| flag.
|
| It would now appear that Microsoft has voluntarily chosen to obey such
| content restrictions in Vista, despite the successful work of thousands of
| users to defend Microsoft's right to innovate and our right to fair use.
`----

http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2008/05/update-nbc-and-microsoft

Related:

Avoid the Vista badge, it means DRM inside

,----[ Quote ]