[News] The Rise and Attempt at Fall (Block) of GNU/Linux Distribution Medium

Pirate Bay hits mainstream

,----[ Quote ]
| But The Pirate Bay still has a way to go to catch the most popular Bit
| Torrent site on the web, Mininova, which currently ranks 52 on Alexa.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/05/19/piratebay-top100

Cable ISPs block P2P traffic at all hours

,----[ Quote ]
| The BitTorrent traffic was blocked, not managed. In its report, the Max
| Planck Institute clearly noted, "ISPs may throttle (rate-limit) BitTorrent
| traffic without blocking it. The results we present here are limited to hosts
| whose BitTorrent transfers to our servers are blocked, i.e., interrupted by
| RST [Reset] packets generated by some ISP along the path."
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/05/16/cable-isps-block-p2p-traffic

They mustn't filter based on ports and protocols. That's a sin. If someone
clogs it up with infringement, then they need to handle it separately. What's
next? FTP throttling? HTTP blockin? Those two can have files shared. /Any/
files. That's what the Web does. It moves files, never mind the protocol or
method.

Recent:

Microsoft Misleads on Copyright Reform

,----[ Quote ]
| The Hill Times this week includes an astonishingly misleading and factually
| incorrect article on Canadian copyright written by Microsoft.
`----

http://www.michaelgeist.ca/content/view/2670/125/

RIAA, MPAA urge pro-copyright vows from presidential candidates

,----[ Quote ]
| One question, for instance, asks: "How would you promote the progress of
| science and creativity, as enumerated in the U.S. Constitution, by upholding
| and strengthening copyright law and preventing its diminishment?"
`----

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9821141-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

TorrentSpy ordered to pay the MPAA $110 million

,----[ Quote ]
| For Dan Glickman, Chairman and CEO of the MPAA, “The demise of Torrentspy is
| a clear victory for the studios and demonstrates that such pirate sites will
| not be allowed to continue to operate without facing relentless litigation by
| copyright holders.”
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/05/08/mpaa-awarded-110-million

Beleaguered BitTorrent search engine shuts down

,----[ Quote ]
| TorrentSpy has spent the past two years and hundreds of thousands of
| dollars "defending the rights of our users and ourselves" in a legal climate
| that was "hostile" to torrent files, according to the note, which is
| attributed to the TorrentSpy team.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php?id=1205693246&rid=-50

Related:

Comcast Isn’t Net Neutral; Are They Liars, Too?

,----[ Quote ]
| Following reports that Comcast isn’t net neutral, Consumerist blog has
| acquired several leaks from Comcast insiders, claiming that they do indeed
| use Sandvine for packet shaping, and that customer service representatives
| are being told nothing about how the network technology works,
`----

http://mashable.com/2007/10/26/comcast-isnt-net-neutral-are-they-liars-too/

Comcast, Microsoft team up to serve smaller firms

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft's move to offer the online software suite appears designed to
| compete with a similar offering from rival Google Inc (GOOG.O: Quote,
| Profile, Research) known as Google Apps.
`----

http://www.reuters.com/article/marketsNews/idUKN1361814420071114?rpc=44

BitTorrent Admin Monitored by US Government, Forced to Dump Linux

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://torrentfreak.com/bittorrent-admin-monitored-by-us-government-forced-to-dump-linux/