[News] Migrating Friends to Linux, Escaping Windows Vista

I remastered PCLinuxOS in French for my neighbor

,----[ Quote ]
| I have a neighbour who is retired and loves to internet. That is not so
| special, but what is special is that he is 82 years old and would like to
| start learning Linux. He is French speaking so installing a localized French
| version of a Linux distro was a must.
`----

http://wamukota.blogspot.com/2008/05/i-remastered-pclinuxos-in-french-for-my.html

It seems like a trend. Friends approach friends for advice on migration.
Network effect.

My New OS - Mandriva Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| I switched to Mandriva Linux this past week. Having tried and tested the Live
| CD, and verifying that everything was fine, I decided to install it on the
| HD.The boot was quiet, and the installation took around 15 minutes. Haunted
| by the choice of environments, I chose KDE over GNOME, simply because it was
| listed first. Ok, so it had almost all the needed apps installed. I was
| thrilled by the cool desktop, the superb graphics and above all, on finding
| my favorite Amarok and Firefox, though Konqueror is the default Web
| Browser.So finally, I have something better than stupid Win Vista. The 3D
| desktop of Mandriva is equally good, if not better, than Vista, and its free!
`----

http://sufyanism.blogspot.com/2008/05/my-new-os-mandriva-linux.html

So good that Microsoft had to bribe officials to 'not want' it anymore (see
below).

Related:

Lessons from Africa: How to Kill Your Own FUD

,----[ Quote ]
| So, even as Microsoft claims superior quality over Linux, they act as if they
| don't even buy their own FUD. If they really believed that Windows was
| superior to Linux, they wouldn't have to bribe people with “marketing help”
| to get them to choose Windows.
`----

http://www.linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2007-11-09-030-26-OP-MD-MS

[Mandriva CEO:] An open letter to Steve Ballmer

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://blog.mandriva.com/2007/10/31/an-open-letter-to-steve-ballmer/