[News] [Rival] Microsoft Tries to 'Steal' Yahoo! Search from Google

As Icahn Storms The Gates, Yahoo Sends Google Ad Smoke Signals Again

,----[ Quote ]
| When Microsoft and Yahoo fell apart, the price gap was part of it, but
| Ballmer also saw the Google deal as an impediment to making it work.
`----

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/05/16/AR2008051603315.html

The Microsoft/Ballmer Mafia must have hired a head-hunter.

Yahoo, Google Ad Deal Used to Stop Shareholder Revolt

,----[ Quote ]
| In a separate letter, Mr. Yang exhorted Yahoo employees to disregard the
| uncertainty caused by high-level maneuvering. Analysts have speculated that
| uncertainty could prompt some employees to jump ship.
`----

http://www.tmcnet.com/usubmit/-yahoo-google-ad-deal-used-stop-shareholder-revolt-/2008/05/17/3451423.htm

Yahoo, fighting Icahn bid, forms ad partnership with WPP

,----[ Quote ]
| Yahoo Inc., fighting billionaire investor Carl Icahn's bid to take control of
| its board, said Friday that it agreed to give advertising company WPP Group
| access to its online advertising auction service to bolster ad sales.
`----

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-yahoo17-2008may17,0,5780829.story

Microsoft to Buy Just Yahoo’s Search Business?

,----[ Quote ]
| Will Microsoft now just buy Yahoo’s search business instead of the whole
| company?
`----

http://kara.allthingsd.com/20080518/microsoft-to-buy-just-yahoos-search-business/

So, it's all about "f* killing Google" after all. Like a totalitarian regime
trying to squash rivals rather than improve...

Microsoft Considers 'Transaction' with Yahoo

,----[ Quote ]
| I'm not educated enough in the field of business to understand what
| a "transaction" exactly means in this specific context - it might very well
| be that Microsoft is intentionally trying to come across as vague. My guess
| would be that Microsoft wants to try to approach Yahoo in a less aggressive
| fashion, speaking of a partial acquisition instead of a complete buyout -
| which would leave room for Yahoo to operate as a separate entity
`----

http://www.osnews.com/story/19758

Microsoft and Yahoo re-enter talks

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft announced Sunday afternoon it has issued another proposal to Yahoo
| that calls for a transaction with Yahoo, but would not involve the
| acquisition of all of Yahoo's assets.
|
| The announcement comes just days after billionaire investor Carl Icahn
| launched a proxy fight to unseat Yahoo's current board at the Internet search
| pioneer's upcoming July 3 annual shareholders meeting.
`----

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9946767-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Microsoft says mulling new Yahoo deal, without a takeover

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft said Sunday it was considering some kind of new deal with Yahoo
| that would not involve a new takeover bid, two weeks after withdrawing its
| offer to acquire the struggling Internet pioneer.
`----

http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5gvudi39mrTPKsCQ5RciR0wc9SGGA

On the face of it, Microsoft is doing its proxy fight. No wonder the brand is
sinking like an anchor [1] and the value of the company declining by
$30,000,000,000 within just months [2]. The latest from the New York Times [3]
showed just how the company retarded progress for 15 years. Why? Because it's
more profitable to just punish the technology industry.

___
[1] Microsoft Plummets, Retail Falls While Beauty Gains in CoreBrand 2007 Brand
Power Rankings

,----[ Quote ]
| The annual "CoreBrand Brand Power 100" Branding Index(R) of 1,200 US
| corporations ranks Coca-Cola Company and Johnson & Johnson at #1 and #2
| respectively, unchanged since 2004. Meanwhile, Microsoft's corporate brand
| declined in stunning fashion over the past four years, falling from 11 in
| 2004 to 59 in 2007 Microsoft, a decline of 48 places!
`----

http://www.marketwire.com/mw/release.do?id=834308

[2] Is Microsoft Aura Fading?

,----[ Quote ]
| Yesterday's early relief rally reversed, and Microsoft's value has now fallen
| by more than $30 billion since it unveiled its bid for Yahoo on February 1.
`----

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB121004447596669953.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

[3] The Computer Industry Comes With Built-In Term Limits

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/18/technology/18digi.html?_r=1&adxnnl=1&oref=slogin&adxnnlx=1211108672-wxSkMFThPe25k6CsZhYxLQ
http://tinyurl.com/69kg3z