[News] 10 Examples of Beautiful Linux Desktops; 7 Linux Audio Players

10 Most Beautiful Looking Linux Desktop.

,----[ Quote ]
| Over the years I came across many many linux Desktop screenshots, it’s
| amazing how someone can spend huge amount of time tweaking and customizing
| their desktop look.
`----

http://www.linuxhaxor.net/2008/05/17/10-most-beautiful-looking-linux-desktop/

7 Audio Players for Linux - Review

,----[ Quote ]
| This article reviews 7 of the most used audio players for Linux, 2 KDE
| players (Amarok and JuK) and 5 GTK players (Banshee, Beep Media Player,
| Audacious, Exaile and Rhythmbox). I tried to keep the reviews objective,
| however the scores are (and I can't possibly think of a way to do this
| another way) subjective. As later additions, I also included the last version
| of Listen and the Quod Libet player.
`----

http://lintut.50webs.org/audio_players.html

Recent:

Why Vista sounds worse

,----[ Quote ]
| Changes to how the latest version of Windows handles audio playback has
| caused unexpected quality issues for musicians and consumers alike, reports
| Tim Anderson
`----

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2008/jan/31/microsoft.technology

FusionCast Episode IV -- Cylinder Cube, etc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKJBPCy2l3g

5 Linux distributions that rival OS X for looks

,----[ Quote ]
| All of these distributions are freely available, so if you like the look of
| one, then just click on the link to take you to the website, where you can
| download an ISO image and burn it to disc to try. I know that some Mac users
| hate having to use Windows if they're at a friend or relative's house, so if
| you like the look of one of these, you may want to keep a copy handy to use
| as an alternative under those circumstances. Also, Linux has the same kind of
| resistance to viruses and malware as OS X, so you have those advantages as
| well - always worth having if you're going to use a computer that could have
| all kinds of junk on it! Live CD's can also be handy if your computer won't
| boot due to problems and you need to use it in a hurry.
`----

http://farbeyondtheedgeofreason.blogspot.com/2008/05/5-linux-distributions-that-rival-os-x.html

First look: KDE 4.1 alpha 1 very promising

,----[ Quote ]
| The open-source KDE desktop environment is built on top of Trolltech's Qt
| development toolkit. One of the most significant changes in KDE 4.1 is the
| adoption of Qt 4.4, a new version of the toolkit which includes important
| features such as a built-in WebKit-based HTML rendering widget and support
| for placing widgets on canvases. These features will bring some new
| capabilities to KDE's Plasma desktop shell.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080430-first-look-kde-4-1-alpha-1-very-promising.html

KDE 4 rev 802150: Work in progress

,----[ Quote ]
| KWin with Wobbly Windows
|
| Kwin features a new visual effect known to most of you from Compiz: the
| Wobbly Windows. Only a few days ago the settings panel for this effect had
| tons of detailed options. Most of these options have been disabled now, the
| only thing that can be configured is the window deformation level while in
| motion. This seems more appropriate for a common user since the number of
| configurable settings was overwhelming before. One minor flaw that I noticed
| in KWin Wobble Windows is that the window shadow is not properly deformed (it
| does not adjust to the current shape of the window).
`----

http://polishlinux.org/kde/kde-4-rev-802150-work-in-progress/

KDE 4 rev 790000: Better stability and performance

,----[ Quote ]
| This is another revision of the development version of KDE 4 environment.
| Lots of you have asked why it took me so long to publish this article. Well,
| I was just waiting for rev 790000, that’s all. I hope that your curiosity
| will be satisfied since there’s been a lot of changes to describe this time.
| I did my best.
`----

http://polishlinux.org/kde/kde-4-rev-790000-better-stability-and-performance/

KDE 4.1: Visual Changelog (rev 783000)