[News] Free GNU Version of Firefox Now Available (IceCat)

Need FF2 in Hardy? Try GNU’s IceCat.

,----[ Quote ]
| IceCat is “the GNU version of the Firefox browser.” Basically, the GNU guys
| took Mozilla’s code, and compiled it without using the “proprietary” parts,
| meaning the Logo and the name, among other things.
`----

http://www.ozymo.com/~chuck/blog/2008/04/18/need-ff2-in-hardy-try-gnus-icecat/

For those who go through the process (I just did so that I can run Firefox over
SSH and locally at the same time, but instructions were missing):

wget http://gnuzilla.gnu.org/download/icecat-2.0.0.13-g1-i386.tar.bz

now run run-icecat.sh to create a profile

exit icecat

cp -r ~/.mozilla/firefox/* ~/.gnuzilla/icecat/

done

Related:

http://www.gnu.org/software/gnuzilla/ (since 2006)

http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/gnuzilla/ (since 2006)

Firefox Set Free in IceWeasel

,----[ Quote ]
| One possible outcome is that Debian developers just rename Firefox to
| something else. Another possibility is that they just use GNU's
| IceWeasel.

Iceweasel released from its cage

,----[ Quote ]
`----