[News] Reasons to Avoid Microsoft&Novell Silverblight [sic] and Moonblight [sic]

  • Subject: [News] Reasons to Avoid Microsoft&Novell Silverblight [sic] and Moonblight [sic]
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 17 May 2008 22:21:46 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Moonlight Hits the Internet

,----[ Quote ]
| See? You can have most of .Net ... but you can't write a GUI because Windows
| Forms is held back. If you try to port Windows forms to another platform, so
| that a program originally written in .Net using Windows forms can be easily
| ported to that other platform ... Microsoft would certainly sue.
|
| Absolutely classic Microsoft behaviour, that.
|
| For Silverlight ... the piece of that that Microsoft have held back for
| themselves exclusively is the content creation part.
|
| You can only create Silverlight content on a Windows platform.
`----

http://www.osnews.com/comments/19745

Legality

,----[ Quote ]
| What Mr. Goldfarb is alluding to is Microsoft's position that because of the
| MS/Novell patent covenant only users of Novell's Linux offerings have
| permission to use Mono. All others (as implied by Mr. Goldfarb's statements
| here) are using Mono in violation of MS' patents.
`----

http://talkback.zdnet.com/5208-10535-0.html?forumID=1&threadID=47762&messageID=890014

If a site uses Silverlight, visitors should immediately complain. It's worse
than using ActiveX.

Related:

It's tiresome to stick to a few principles, or: Mono is FUD

,----[ Quote ]
| As a final note, it would be nice if the new Fedora Project Leader would make
| a public statement on Mono. Heck, Max could too know whether Red Hat is not
| shipping Mono with RHEL because of patents, because it's wrong to do it,
| because they don't want to support it, or because they don't support it yet.
`----

http://beranger.org/index.php?page=diary&2008/02/25/08/52/11-it-s-tiresome-to-stick-to-a-few-

Miguel, Mono and Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]