[News] Yahoo Keeps Moving Away from Microsoft Proxy Scum and Towards Google

Yahoo-Google ad deal 'still on track'

,----[ Quote ]
| The partnership, which is designed to increase Yahoo's ad revenue, is "still
| on track," a source familiar with the partnership said, and an announcement
| is expected next week. That aligns well with reports in the New York Post and
| Reuters.
`----

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9946069-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Google Moves to Friend More Web Site Operators

,----[ Quote ]
| Noting that social activity on the Web is controlled by a handful of social
| networks, Google Director of Engineering David Glazer said Google's new
| Friend Connect service aims to let users use any application on any site with
| their friends.
`----

http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Messaging-and-Collaboration/Google-Hopes-to-Friend-More-Web-Site-Operators/

Yahoo tries to conceal lawsuit documents

,----[ Quote ]
| Also included in the documents are notes from a conversation between Jerry
| Yang and Steve Ballmer, the respective chief executives of Yahoo and
| Microsoft, and of comments top executives made about the severance plan, the
| AP said. The information was gathered during the discovery phase of the
| lawsuit.
`----

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9946485-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Recent:

Google addresses antitrust issue on Yahoo ad deal

,----[ Quote ]
| Google's top executives on Thursday gave a glimpse into how it might try to
| deflect antitrust concerns of a possible ad-sharing deal with rival Yahoo,
| advising observers to look at the overall ad market.
|
| "You are narrowly focused on search advertising," co-founder Sergey Brin told
| reporters at the company's headquarters here before Google's shareholder
| meeting. "Advertising as a whole is much broader, and Internet advertising is
| much broader."
|
| [...]
|
| Yahoo-Google ad test a success
|
| The two-week test with Yahoo went well, Brin said.
|
| "We had a really good dynamic. We were able to implement it quickly. The
| technology teams got along well. They were able to get the protocols working
| very easily and able to gain a lot of insights," Brin said.
`----

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9939473-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Yang hits back at Ballmer; mentions antitrust concerns

,----[ Quote ]
| The part of the new Yahoo letter I found most interesting, though, was the
| mention of antitrust issues that would arise if the acquisition goes through
| — something that neither Microsoft nor Yahoo has spent much time discussing
| publicly. From the letter:
|
|     “As to antitrust, we have discussed with you our concerns. Any
|     transaction between us would result in a thorough regulatory review in
|     multiple jurisdictions. As a follow up to a recent meeting among our
|     respective legal advisors we had on this topic, and at your request, we
|     provided to you on March 28 a list of additional information we would
|     need to further our understanding of the regulatory issues associated
|     with any transaction. To date, you have still not provided any of the
|     requested information.”
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=1317

The Microsoft-Yahoo merger: Yes, privacy is an antitrust concern

,----[ Quote ]
| The same day that Microsoft announced it was about to offer $44.6 billion
| offer for Yahoo, Senator Herb Kohl (D-Wisc.), chairman of the Senate
| Antitrust Subcommittee, issued a statement: “We will need to scrutinize the
| deal carefully to ensure that it will not cause any harm to the
| competitiveness of what has been a vibrant high tech marketplace, nor
| negatively impact the privacy rights of internet users.”
`----

http://www.antitrustinstitute.org/archives/files/Microsoft-Yahoo%20Lande%20privacy_030220081748.pdf

Microsoft Lawyers Map Out the Bid for Yahoo

,----[ Quote ]
| Two days after they talked, the AAI released a statement that called for
| regulators to closely scrutinize Microsoft's bid. Lande, a Baltimore School
| of Law professor, says he spoke with Rule at length, but his reaction to the
| merger proposal was less than measured. "There will be less pressure to
| innovate in the long term," he says. "The consumer will lose."
`----

http://www.law.com/jsp/article.jsp?id=1202469653006

China's Alibaba ponders Microsoft's Yahoo bid-WSJ

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.reuters.com/article/marketsNews/idCNTN1559272320080216?rpc=44