[News] Another Linux-based Eee PC Rave, Sugar Targets More Low-cost laptops

My Asus Eee PC’s Linux Journey

,----[ Quote ]
| When I first received the Eee PC, it took about ten minutes of charging to
| get it to boot up, and my pleasure with my Eee was almost immediate.
`----

http://www.workswithu.com/2008/05/16/my-asus-eee-pcs-linux-journey/

Sugar Labs will make OLPC interface available for Eee PC, others

,----[ Quote ]
| Former One Laptop Per Child President Walter Bender has formed a nonprofit
| called Sugar Labs, which will advance the Sugar graphical interface he
| originally created for the low-cost computing project.
`----

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9946242-7.html

Bender Forms Group to Promote OLPC's Sugar UI

,----[ Quote ]
| Sugar Labs Foundation will refine the development of Sugar, a UI (user
| interface) for the Linux OS that provides educational tools for kids. The
| foundation aims to create distributions of Sugar for multiple hardware and
| open-source platforms beyond the XO laptop.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/146002/bender_forms_group_to_promote_olpcs_sugar_ui.html
http://tinyurl.com/6esjqb

Developing nations are still the key to Free software adoption, which is why
Microsoft tries to get children 'addicted':

Reflections on Open Source Commerce, Part 2

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux-based business-critical servers have found a stable home in the data
| center and in infrastructure computing applications in organizations of all
| types. The low-hanging fruit has been harvested; most Linux servers have been
| installed to handle workloads that traditionally would have run Unix-based
| operating systems. This application area is rapidly maturing. The major
| opportunity for ongoing growth is in developing countries.
`----

http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/reports/6485/1/

Related:

[OLPC XO] Original UI , Unique Operation [Part 2]

,----[ Quote ]
| In fact, the Sugar does not have a concept of files. As the PC is based on
| Linux, data are virtually located in files, of course. Nevertheless, the
| Sugar is basically designed to store every operation result as a "Journal."
|
| In addition, we need to download screen data to edit such an article. The
| Sugar automatically downloads the whole screen if both Alt and "1" keys are
| pressed. The XO also automatically recognizes a USB memory device if it is
| inserted. Using these capabilities, we took out and used screen data for
| article editing.
`----

http://techon.nikkeibp.co.jp/english/NEWS_EN/20080118/145750/

First Look: OLPC's XO Laptop

,----[ Quote ]
| Again, to compare the OLPC to today's notebook is missing the point of the
| XO. It's intended as a sturdy, self-contained introduction to technology (and
| to the Web) for children in developing nations.  They haven't played with
| Nintendo Wiis or an Apple Macintosh, much less a Windows or Linux system.
| Without the OLPC effort, they may not have a laptop at all--and this one at
| least provides a durable start.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,140931-c,notebooks/article.html

One Laptop Per Child (New Version), Reviewed by 12-Year-Old

,----[ Quote ]
| For a regular laptop, this would be the paragraph about its problems, its
| deficiencies. But the thing is, there aren’t any problems with this computer!
| Congratulations, OLPC. You’ve done it. Or will you come out with yet better
| laptops? Is that even possible? We’ll have to see...
`----

http://www.freedom-to-tinker.com/?p=1206

(Video) OLPC Interface Walkthrough

,----[ Quote ]