[News] SourceForge Awards Initiative Kicks Off

Community-Powered Open Source Awards Just Got More Open

,----[ Quote ]
| "We realize the success of open source is bigger than any one repository can
| contain, even ours," says Ross Turk, SourceForge.net Community Manager. "Open
| source has become a force to be reckoned with, and we want to recognize the
| communities that have been responsible for changing that software landscape
| in such a fundamentally cool way."
`----

http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/articles/marketwire/0397370.htm

SourceForge's Open Source Awards Now Open for All Projects

,----[ Quote ]
| You have to like "Most Likely to Get Users Sued" as a category.
`----

http://ostatic.com/162145-blog/sourceforges-open-source-awards-now-open-for-all-projects

Recent:

SourceForge.net2008 Community Choice Awards

,----[ Quote ]
| SourceForge.net is proud to present our 2008 Community Choice Awards. This is
| the third year of our awards program, and we think it's going to be the best
| yet.
`----

http://sourceforge.net/community/cca08

Cashing in on open source projects the eBay way

,----[ Quote ]
| Whenever I see a press release that includes words such as monetize, world's
| largest and unique position I have to admit I get a sudden urge to reach for
| the delete key. However, on this occasion I decided to read on simple because
| it came from the direction of SourceForge.net and concerned the opportunity
| to monetize open source software. Not that I am 100% convinced that this is
| as close to the heart of the open source developer as some pundits believe.
| That said, if anyone can produce the necessary software alchemy then it has
| to be SourceForge.net, occupying as it does the lofty position of the world's
| largest web site for open source development and distribution.

Source(Forge) of Strength or Weakness?

,----[ Quote ]
| The launch of SourceForge.net Marketplace looks likely to exacerbate these
| issues, since it extends the reach of the site beyond code creation to code
| support, which could make it even more central to the way the entire open
| source ecosystem functions. Now may be a good time for the open source
| community to consider its dependence on SourceForge, and to find ways to
| reduce the threat that this represents.
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/community/blogs/index.cfm?RSS&entryid=249

Firms evaluate SourceForge marketplace

,----[ Quote ]
| According to Rudolph, the site gets 25 million unique visitors per month and
| houses about 160,000 global open source projects.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php?id=700988769&rid=-50

Related:

SourceForge adopts eBay-like sales model for open-source software

,----[ Quote ]
| One question that people who don't know how open-source businesses work
| is: "How do you make money from open-source software?" SourceForge.net has a
| new answer to that question: sell services and support to customers using an
| eBay-like market.

SourceForge heads from one-stop shop to Mega-market

,----[ Quote ]
| Looking for an open source developer? SourceForge to launch new open source
| services marketplace
`----

http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/index.php/id;881770770

The SourceForge Story

,----[ Quote ]
| It was the fall of 1999 and there was a fever in the air. The dotcom frenzy
| was in full bonanza, it was gonzo, and it was going to last forever.
`----

http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/cnews/article.php/12035_3705731_1

Open Source Community Honors Its Best and Brightest

,----[ Quote ]
| The second annual SourceForge.net Community Choice Awards build on the
| resounding community interest and success of the inaugural awards.
`----

http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/articles/marketwire/0275543.htm

Sourceforge adds wiki functionality

,----[ Quote ]
| SourceForge has teamed-up with Wikispaces to integrate wikis
| directly into SourceForge.net, in what is believed to be the
| most extensive deployment of wikis to the open source
| development community.
`----

http://www.tectonic.co.za/view.php?src=rss&id=1577

CollabNet acquires SourceForge from VA Software

,----[ Quote ]
| CollabNet has acquired SourceForge Enterprise Edition (SFEE) from
| VA Software, adding to its range of collaborative software
| development tools.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/infoworld/20070425/tc_infoworld/87999

SourceForge plans to launch open-source marketplace

,----[ Quote ]
| In the summer SourceForge, which with 140,000 of them is the world's
| largest hoster of open-source projects, intends to launch a
| marketplace for open-source-related services.
`----

http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/87530/from/rss09

Krugle powers SourceForge search

,----[ Quote ]
| SourceForge hopes to make it easier for developers to find
| existing open-source projects through an agreement with
| Krugle Inc. that boosts the search capabilities on SourceForge.net.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2007/040907-krugle-powers-sourceforge.html?fsrc=rss-linux-news
http://tinyurl.com/yrwkhj

IBM Ditches Sourceforge For Apache