[News] MP Pushing for Another Government to Adopt GNU/Linux

Tanczos wants a new window on the world

,----[ Quote ]
| Although most computers use Microsoft Windows, Green MP Nandor Tanczos thinks
| it's time to look at alternative operating systems.
|
| While in Whangarei last week he visited a computer lab running open source
| software at Northtec.
|
| Open source software has code which can be read and improved by everyone and
| is developed in a collaborative manner. It's free and has alternatives to
| almost everything based on a Microsoft Windows system.
|
| Mr Tanczos has pushed for government department software to be evaluated in a
| more even-handed manner.
|
| "When I spoke about open source software in Parliament, there were blank
| faces all round," he said.
`----

http://www.northernadvocate.co.nz/localnews/storydisplay.cfm?storyid=3772601&thesection=localnews&thesubsection=&thesecondsubsection=
http://tinyurl.com/6zyb4w

Recent:

EU: Europarlement testing Ubuntu, OpenOffice and Firefox

,----[ Quote ]
| The European Parliament's IT department is testing the use of GNU/Linux
| distribution Ubuntu, OpenOffice, Firefox and other Open Source applications,
| the British MEP James Nicholson explained last week in a letter to Italian
| MEP Marco Cappato.
`----

http://ec.europa.eu/idabc/en/document/7565

Related:

Linux reaches the Italian Parliament

,----[ Quote ]
| As reported by the Italian newspaper Repubblica on July 10th, 2007, a plan
| suggested by the left deputies Pietro Folena and Franco Grillini to migrate
| all the computers of the Parliament from Windows to Linux was approved by the
| Chamber.
|
| The migration will affect about 3500 boxes of the Chamber, both desktops and
| servers, and each Deputy/Party may also ask to migrate his/its (private)
| computers to the Free System.
`----

http://3v1n0.tuxfamily.org/blog/linux-docs/italian-parliament-moves-to-linux/

French National Assembly switches to Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux, OpenOffice and Firefox favoured
|
| [...]
|
| One deputy in favour of the move is Bernard Carayon, commissioned by
| the Prime Minister earlier this year to report on how European
| businesses could play a greater role in developing global industrial
| standards, in order to reduce Europe's economic dependance on other
| regions.
`----

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/news/index.cfm?newsid=7687

City of Munich and German Federal Foreign Office start collaboration

| According to this German article, the City of Munich and the German Federal
| Foreign Office have started to collaborate on the implementation of their
| open source and open standards strategies. I would not be surprised if other
| organizations decided to join the "alliance" as well. Anyway, very cool to
| see government organizations collaborate regarding the usage of open source
| and open standards.
`----

http://blogs.sun.com/dancer/entry/city_of_munich_and_german

German] Federal Employment Office switches to Linux

http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/102218