[News] [Rival] Windows Vista a Business Killer?

Dixons admits 'it's even worse than you thought'

,----[ Quote ]
| DSGi had already coughed to problems at its PC division due to the damp squib
| launch of Microsoft Vista at the turn of last year – but the latest figures
| show things getting worse not better as the industry adjusted to Microsoft's
| unloved OS.
`----

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2008/05/15/dsg_turnaround/

Maybe "industry adjusted to Microsoft's unloved OS" means: it started selling
Linux Eees, XP, Nokia tablets, smartphones, etc.

Recent:

PC World, Currys staff to be dumped in DSGi rescue plan?

,----[ Quote ]
| Hundreds of PC World and Currys staff could see the job axe swing on Thursday
| (15 May) when the stores’ owner DSG International (DSGi) announces its latest
| trading statement and strategy review.
`----

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2008/05/12/dsgi_store_closures_speculation/

Microsoft Profit Drops; Forecast May Miss Estimates

,----[ Quote ]
| The world's biggest software maker said sales of Windows for PCs sank 24
|                                                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| percent and revenue from its online advertising unit came in at the low end
| ^^^^^^^
| of its projections. Microsoft's report contrasted with positive comments from
| chipmaker Intel Corp. and computer company International Business Machines
| Corp.
|
| [...]
|
| Microsoft declined $1.60 to $30.20 in extended trading after closing at
| $31.80 at 4 p.m. New York time on the Nasdaq Stock Market. The stock has
| fallen 11 percent this year.
`----

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=aQ7_iN1SxJ.c&refer=worldwide

Related:

Currys group blames Vista for poor sales

,----[ Quote ]
| DSG, the group behind Currys and PC World, has warned that poor sales of
| Vista could slash its profits by around £20 million.
`----

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/131507/currys-group-blames-vista-for-poor-sales.html

DSG continues retailer woes

,----[ Quote ]
| DSG, the company formerly known as Dixons, became the latest British retailer
| to report a drop in profits for the summer months today. But it wasn’t all
| down to the rotten weather – this time it was also Microsoft’s fault.
`----

http://www.managementtoday.co.uk/newsalerts/article/748756/dsg-continues-retailer-woes/

PC retailer's hard facts contradicts Microsoft's success claims:

.----[ Quote ]
| While Microsoft continues to praise the market success of its
| latest operating system, the number of critical voices and negative
| comments on sales figures for Vista continues to rise. Now, the
| Dixon Store Group (DSG), a British retail chain, has released
| specific figures. The firm says that it earned 20 million pounds
| less in the first two quarters of the year because sales of Vista
| products did not meet expectations.
|
| The DSG says it has had to write off excess inventory, which
| brought down the retailer's gross margin by 2 percent. The Group
| says that far fewer Vista computers were sold at its PC World chain
| than were put on inventory.
`----

http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/97655/from/rss09

Interesting comment from CompUSA

,----[ Quote ]
| Every single one of them he said was returned from consumers... and that they
| (CompUSA) couldn't ship them back. As he heard, Microsoft wasn't giving
| credit back for unsold or returned copies... and didn't want the returned
| figures made public... He wouldn't say that every single one of them
| exchanged for a copy of Xp, he didn't know if that was true. So, I asked how
| many boxes did they have. Same glare, followed with a "You do not want to
| know" type statement.
`----

http://zerias.blogspot.com/2007/12/interesting-comment-from-compusa.html

CompUSA to close all of its 103 stores