[News] Search for Linux-friendly PCs Using HCLs

Ubuntu Hardware Compatibility List. Know It, Love It

,----[ Quote ]
| One of the most outright frustrating experiences using a Linux distribution
| is having hardware that absolutely, positively will not work with it for
| whatever reason.
|
| But what if you’re building a box? Is there any way to find out what hardware
| will work best?
|
| Yes. It’s called the Hardware Compatibility List or HCL for short.
`----

http://www.pcmech.com/article/ubuntu-hardware-compatibility/

The matrix on your Hardy Desktop

,----[ Quote ]
| If you use compiz it is easy to set the glmatrix screensaver as your desktop
| background.
`----

http://digiwanderlust.blogspot.com/2008/05/matrix-on-your-hardy-desktop.html

Nice screenshots.

Recent:

Linux Driver Project Status Report as of April 2008

,----[ Quote ]
| The Linux Driver Project (LDP) is alive and well, with over 300 developers
| wanting to participate, many drivers already written and accepted into the
| Linux kernel tree, and many more being currently developed. The main problem
| is a lack of projects. It turns out that there really isn't much hardware
| that Linux doesn't already support. Almost all new hardware produced is
| coming with a Linux driver already written by the company, or by the
| community with help from the company.
`----

http://lwn.net/Articles/276973/

Related:

Linux device driver project needs more unsupported devices to work on!

,----[ Quote ]
| The problem is that even though Kroah-Hartman and his developers are willing
| to sign NDAs (nondisclosure agreements) for companies that are reluctant to
| open up their devices to open source, businesses are still hanging
| back. "What we need now is more companies participating in the project,"
| Kroah-Hartman said.
|
| [...]
|
| He also wondered if the problem of Linux device drivers has been
| overstated...

Avoid Linux device support issues: A few minutes of research can make all the
difference

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.geekzone.co.nz/foobar/4358