[News] EDB Chooses GNU/Linux, EDS Swallowed by H-P, H-P's Linux CTO Speaks

EDB Implements Red Hat Solutions for the Reliability of In-House Mainframe
Computing

,----[ Quote ]
| “There are clear advantages to mainframe computing including high
| reliability, security and resource savings in the amount of energy and
| cooling capacity used to run an application,” said Helge Forberg, section
| chief for Application, Automation and Support Systems at EDB Business
| Partner.
`----

http://www.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20080514005111&newsLang=en

HP buys EDS: You fools! You fools!

,----[ Qoute ]
| Sure Compaq may have worked out in the long run, but people who argue this
| seem to skip answering the questions: "Did HP really get anything from buying
| Compaq?" and "Couldn't HP have developed its hybrid PC sales model without
| Compaq?" Seems to me, HP just wasted 25-billion big ones on Compaq.
`----

http://blogs.computerworld.com/hp_buys_eds_you_fools_you_fools?rec=1

HP CTO of Linux and FOSS:

Bdale Garbee: A fascinating 'open source celebrity' (video)

,----[ Quote ]
| Let's get the first Bdale question out of the way right now: no, he didn't
| sell half the vowels in his name. His birth name was Barksdale, later
| shortened to B'dale, then to Bdale. The next thing you notice (in person)
| about Bdale Garbee is his size. He's a very large person.
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/133147

Another takeover on the way?

Oracle's Planned AdminServer Buy Seen as Significant

,----[ Quote ]
| In an announcement overshadowed by Hewlett-Packard's US$13.9 billion bid for
| services provider EDS, Oracle on Tuesday announced it plans to buy
| AdminServer, a Pennsylvania company that makes policy administration software
| for the insurance industry, for an undisclosed sum.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/145864/oracles_planned_adminserver_buy_seen_as_significant.html

Recent:

Meet Karl Paetzel, HP marketing manager for Linux and open source (video)

,----[ Quote ]
| Karl Paetzel is quoted frequently about Hewlett-Packard's ever-increasing
| Linux and open source efforts, which now include open source licensing
| detection and governance tools. Here's a chance to see and hear him a little
| more "up close and personal" than in a traditional text interview.
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/132571

HP Media Vault 2100 Linux Server Reviewed: One Kick-Ass Little Penguin

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://gizmodo.com/373711/hp-media-vault-2100-linux-server-reviewed-one-kick+ass-little-penguin