[News] Campaign Launched to Eradicate DRM from Libraries

Libraries: Eliminate DRM!

,----[ Quote ]
| Recently, we took action against the Boston Public Library (BPL) demanding
| that they embargo the use of DRM technology on their collection and create a
| policy that respects the motto that hangs above their door: "free-to-all." To
| send a message to all libraries that they too should respect their patrons'
| freedom, we urge you to sign our open letter.
`----

http://www.defectivebydesign.org/Libraries-Eliminate-DRM

More FSF news:

[FSF] Free Software Supporter - Issue 3, May 2008

,----[ Quote ]
| ## In this issue
| * Free Software Supporter exclusive: WBUR is streaming Ogg Vorbis!
| * DBD Action Alert - Libraries: Eliminate DRM!
| * Get DeltaH, gNewSense 2.0
| * Get your next machine with gNewSense
| * Silicon Mechanics to ship servers with free BIOS preinstalled

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/info-fsf/2008-05/msg00001.html

Recent:

Following Removal of DRM, MIT Resubscribes to SAE Database

,----[ Quote ]
| IT faculty, students, and staff have access to the Society of Automotive
| Engineer’s technical papers over the web again, because the SAE listened to
| MIT and other universities when they spoke out against the imposition of
| Digital Rights Management (DRM) technology.
|
| Last spring, the MIT Libraries cancelled their web access to the (SAE)
| technical papers, because the society was imposing a DRM plug-in called
| FileOpen that seriously impeded normal scholarly use.
`----

http://news-libraries.mit.edu/blog/following-removal/1024/

Protest DRM at the Boston Public Library

,----[ Quote ]
| the BPL [Boston Public Library] has launched a new service powered by a
| company called OverDrive. The system gives BPL patrons access to books,
| music, and movies online -- but only if they use a Microsoft DRM system.
|
| There are lots of problems with the introduction of this system: it bars
| access to users of GNU/Linux and MacOS and creates a dependence on a single
| technology vendor for access. These are important issues, certainly. The
| worst problem, however, is much more fundamental.
|
| By adopting a DRM system for library content, the BPL is giving OverDrive,
| copyright holders, and Microsoft the ability to decide what, when, and how
| its patrons can and cannot read, listen, and watch these parts of the BPL
| collection.
`----

http://mako.cc/copyrighteous/20080207-00

British Library books go digital