[News] Asterisk Available as User-friendly GNU/Linux Appliance

Digium CEO Discusses Open-Source Balancing Act

,----[ Quote ]
| AsteriskNow really is a version of Asterisk that has a graphical user
| interface available in it. The GUI in AsteriskNow is not the same one
| available in Switchvox, and Switchvox doesn't take advantage of the GUI that
| is available in AsteriskNow. If you think of AsteriskNow as a project, as
| opposed to a product, it is an available distribution that reduces the
| technical skill that is required for an end user to utilize Asterisk. It is
| distributed on an RPath foundation, so that you don’t have to be such a Linux
| expert, and it has pretty easy setup and a GUI, and it has a basis from which
| you could do enhancements through scripting and could maybe more easily
| integrate with other applications.
`----

http://www.eweek.com/c/a/VOIP-and-Telephony/Digium-CEO-Discusses-OpenSource-Balancing-Act/

Recent:

Digium Takes Home Three More Industry Awards

,----[ Quote ]
| The company and its founder, Mark Spencer, have also appeared on
| numerous “company to watch” and “influencer” lists, including 2008
| installations from eWeek, Linux Magazine and VoIP-News.
`----

http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/digium-takes-home-three-more-industry-awards,351938.shtml

Digium Founder Mark Spencer Recounts the History of Open Source Asterisk PBX

,----[ Quote ]
| Mark got started with Linux early in 1994 Slackware  (kernel version 1.09).
| One of the few in Auburn, AL at the time  that knew anything about Linux.
| After a stint with Adtran (a global provider of communications equipment) he
| moved out on his own starting a company called Linux Support Services. Mark
| traded his services for space in the back of a local computer store in
| Huntsville, AL. He started by building his own computer and eventually built
| his own phone switch informed by his experience developing GAIM (now Pidgin)
| among other open source projects.
|
| [...]
|
| He attributes their early success contributions from this technical audience
| with contributions from hundreds of developers and feedback generated by over
| a million downloads in 2007. They also benefited from the fact that
| traditional telephone systems were very expensive and features didn’t
| translate from one system to another. Asterisk was very cost effective,
| configurable, and capable of VOIP in an industry with no clear leader. Also
| there was a fundamental shift in the industry from hardware switches to
| software switches.
`----

http://socializedsoftware.com/2008/03/16/digium-founder-mark-spencer-recounts-the-history-of-open-source-asterisk-pbx/

Related:

Digium preps Asterisk Linux distribution

,----[ Quote ]
| "We developed our own GUI [which is] similar to Trixbox [distribution],
| but the purpose of AsteriskNow is to provide a distribution built
| around Asterisk technology so people can use it without the GUI," he
| said. "The GUI is the same as the Asterisk Appliance that looks
| like a Linksys router that runs Asterisk and has analogue ports."
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php/id;1047335524;fp;2;fpid;1

Linux dominating VoIP devices?

,----[ Quote ]
| Trolltech says its development framework and software stack for mobile
| devices was selected by Skype as the preferred platform for Skype-certified
| VoIP (voice-over-IP) phones. Additionally, the Qtopia framework/stack has
| been used in about 40 VoIP devices, making it the "dominant Linux
| development platform for VoIP/WiFi devices," according to Trolltech.

Digium Takes Best of Open Source Software Award

`----

http://www.voip-news.com/blog/20070918/digium-takes-best-of-open-source-software-award/