[News] OpenOffice.org Shows Solid Growth, Office 2007 Buried with Complaints

OpenOffice.org obeys Moore's Law?

,----[ Quote ]
| Back to the Laws. Has the OpenOffice.org installation size indeed followed
| the general trend of growth in PC disk capacity? This chart, which compares
| the hard drive capacity to OpenOffice.org installations, indicates the answer
| is no. In 2002, OpenOffice.org version 1.0.1 consumes 0.45% of a then-common
| 40GB drive. In 2008, version 2.4.0 consumes 0.15% of a 250GB drive—common on
| new systems today—and even less of the monster 1TB drives available.
| OpenOffice.org has grown slower than predicted.
`----

http://www.oooninja.com/2008/05/openofficeorg-moores-law-obeys.html

Introducing The Hague Declaration

,----[ Quote ]
| That pronouncement has been titled The Hague Declaration by the new
| international group, called the Digital Standards Organization ("Digistan,"
| for short), that crafted it. In this blog entry, I'll talk about what the
| Declaration is all about, and what it is intended to achieve.
`----

http://www.consortiuminfo.org/standardsblog/article.php?story=20080512141838422

Another one to the pile of complaints about OOXML and Office 2007:

Britain complains to EU about Microsoft file system

,----[ Quote ]
| A British watchdog agency said Tuesday it had complained to European Union
| regulators that Microsoft Corp.'s new file format for storing documents
| discouraged competition.
`----

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5iE62Wtms_IdmDY__zEXVCG36si3QD90KT7701

Agency says Microsoft hurts student interests

,----[ Quote ]
| A government agency has told the European Commission that Microsoft Office
| works poorly with rival software used in schools, hurting the interests of
| learners, teachers and parents.
`----

http://uk.reuters.com/article/governmentFilingsNews/idUKL1356586720080513

Recent:

Just a coincidence?

,----[ Quote ]
| According to Davide Dozza, Chairman of Associazione PLIO: "The numbers are
| exactly the same. If it's just a coincidence, it's a very strange one.
| Downloads of the Italian version of OpenOffice.org were 800.000 in 2006 and
| 1.800.000 in 2007: the difference is exactly in the million of Italians
| that - according to Microsoft - have downloaded the trial version of Office
| 2007. We think that these users have decided to switch to OpenOffice.org as
| soon as they have realized that the effort to get used to the new ribbon
| interface is higher than the effort to migrate to the open source suite. In
| 2007, the majority of information requests has been about the compatibility
| with Windows Vista, and the trend stays unchanged in 2008".
`----

http://ooomarketing.blogspot.com/2008/01/just-coincidence.html

Sun Adds New Twinkle to StarOffice, OpenOffice

,----[ Quote ]
| Roughly 1 million copies of OpenOffice.org are downloaded per week, not
| ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| including distributions through vendors such as Google, Herring said.

EuroOffice

,----[ Quote ]
| EuroOffice is the name of a free and open-source OpenOffice.org derivative
| and a set of accompanying free and non-free extensions. Most of the
| extensions also work with "vanilla" OpenOffice.org.
`----

http://opendocument.xml.org/product/eurooffice

BE, NL: governments will not use ISO OOXML

,----[ Quote ]
| Asked to comment on last week's ISO approval for OOXML, Fedict's chief IT
| architect, Peter Strickx, said: "There will have to be multiple
| implementations, in order for us not to become dependent on a single vendor.
| It will also have to be compatible with open standards that we already use,
| in this case Open Document Format ODF."
`----

http://ec.europa.eu/idabc/en/document/7562

DE: German Foreign Ministry will not use ISO OOXML

,----[ Quote ]
| In the weeks prior to the second round of votes last September,
| irregularities were reported in the standard committees in many participating
| countries. These claims  continued until after the final discussion, in
| February and March this year.
|
| The European Commission has started an investigation into the allegations.
| The Commission sent a letter to all EU national standards committees in
| Europe, requesting information about the process. Sources at the Commission
| declined to comment, as the investigation is on-going and no official
| position has yet been adopted.
`----

http://ec.europa.eu/idabc/en/document/7561

MEPs Question Microsoft's Eligibility for Gov't Projects

,----[ Quote ]
| The Commission, which has not responded yet, is allowed a few weeks to reply.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/144591/meps_question_microsofts_eligibility_for_govt_projects.html

EU: Europarlement testing Ubuntu, OpenOffice and Firefox

,----[ Quote ]
| The European Parliament's IT department is testing the use of GNU/Linux
| distribution Ubuntu, OpenOffice, Firefox and other Open Source applications,
| the British MEP James Nicholson explained last week in a letter to Italian
| MEP Marco Cappato.
`----

http://ec.europa.eu/idabc/en/document/7565

Is Microsoft Now Banned from EU Contracts?

http://www.computerworlduk.com/toolbox/open-source/blogs/index.cfm?entryid=697&blogid=14

Euro MP thinks Microsoft should be banned from government contracts

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/04/10/member-eu-parliament-asks

Green MEP says Microsoft should be excluded from EU contract awarding procedure

http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/106338/from/rss09